Bringing together the Environmental Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences in Australia
Wednesday 23 - Friday 25 November 2016
Holme Building, Science Road, University of Sydney
The Sixth Biennial Conference of the Association for the Study of Literature, Environment & Culture, Australia & New Zealand (ASLEC) in collaboration with the Sydney Environment Institute (SEI).
This conference will explore interdisciplinary work within the Environmental Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences in Australia on the Anthropocene theme of global and local environmental changes and impacts.
We also propose to form a new Society of Australian Environmental Social Sciences and Humanities (SAESSH) to foster environmental collaborations, analyses and policies. As both an academic and an activist body, the society will work to translate research into practical use for engaging with environmental challenges shared by academics, publics and policy makers alike.
- Joni Adamson, Arizona State University
- Elizabeth DeLoughrey , UCLA
- Deborah Bird Rose, University of New South Wales
- Alice Te Punga Somerville , Macquarie University
- Petra Tschakert – University of Western Australia
- Richard Kerridge, Nature writer & literary ecocritic (UK)
- John Wolseley, Visual Artist
- James Bradley, Novelist & Critic
CALL FOR PAPERS
We welcome proposals for individual papers and interdisciplinary panels addressing a wide range of themes in the environmental social sciences and humanities, including:
- The Anthropocene – the idea and critiques
- Ecological Imaginaries – local, urban, and global
- Ecological Transformations – terrestrial and oceanic, human and nonhuman
- Environmental Governance
- Environmental Justice
- Climate Adaptation – resilience, transition, and transformation
- Indigenous Ecologies and Knowledges
- Cultural Representations of the Anthropocene
- Ecological Ethics & Law
- Round Table for Artists
Abstracts will be jointly considered by ASLEC-ANZ and SEI.
ABSTRACTS FOR CONFERENCE PAPERS
Papers must not exceed 20 minutes in duration
Abstracts of 100-200 words are to be submitted by CLOSED
ABSTRACTS FOR ROUND TABLE EVENT ON ART AS RESEARCH
10 minute presentations on research questions raised by artists are invited for a special two hour ‘Round Table’ event. 100 word abstracts for this event will also be assessed by a peer-review panel. The focus of these papers is to be how practice-led research addresses research questions.
EOI’S FOR ECR WORKSHOP
Expressions of Interest are requested from Early Career Researchers in any field in the Environmental Humanities, the Arts or Social Science for a 90 minute workshop in which research problems in the Environmental Arts and Humanities can be raised in discussion with experienced researchers.
SUCCESSFUL PAPERS will be announced Early July 2016
Selected Papers will be published in the peer-reviewed journal AJE –Australasian Journal of Ecocriticism and Cultural Ecology.
All Abstracts and EOI to be sent as PDF attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries please contact: Marie McKenzie email@example.com
CALL FOR PAPERS PDF
Image: Mandy Martin CMAG 4_09_02