Are you eligible?

E12 students

Eligibility criteria

Before reading on, look closely at the criteria below to see if you can apply for the E12 scheme.
To be eligible to apply:

  • you need to be currently undertaking the Higher School Certificate (HSC) or International Baccalaureate (IB) at a New South Wales high school, and
  • you need to submit a Schools Recommendation Scheme (SRS) application via UAC and place the course you wish to be considered for under E12 as your top University of Sydney preference, and
  • submit the supporting document via UAC's SRS which contains the answers to the 3 E12 questions, in the SRS system, and
  • be studying any required HSC or IB subjects for the E12 course you want to enter, and
  • have the support of your school principal, and
  • be an Australian citizen or the holder of a permanent visa.

In addition, you need to be either:

  • studying at a high school that has been identified by the government as ‘low socioeconomic’ as listed on UAC's S01E list.
  • experiencing financial hardship at the time you apply for E12. If so, you will also need to complete a UAC Educational Access Scheme (EAS) application demonstrating your financial hardship, available on the UAC website.

You will not be disadvantaged in your E12 application if you submit an EAS application claiming financial hardship after the application closing date of 28 September. However, the University cannot make an unconditional offer in December under E12 to conditional offer holders (those required to show financial hardship) unless their EAS application on the grounds of financial hardship is successful.

As E12 is for domestic NSW undergraduate students only, international students or interstate students are not eligible to apply.

E12 cannot be combined with any other University of Sydney admission pathways.

Please note: Students can only apply for one course via E12

When applying for E12 via UAC's SRS, you must ensure that you upload the answers to the 3 E12 questions in the SRS system and ensure that the course you wish to be considered for under E12 is your highest University of Sydney preference as at 11:59pm on 28 September 2018. If you are eligible for E12, the University will take the top E12-eligible preference on your UAC preference list and that will be the ONLY course your E12 application will be assessed under.

Information about schools automatically eligible for E12

All schools in NSW which are listed on UAC's S01E list are automatically eligible for E12. This means that the Year 12 students from those schools, who are completing the HSC or IB, can apply for E12 WITHOUT needing to submit a supporting UAC EAS application to prove financial hardship.

Please visit the UAC website to find if your NSW school is on this year's S01E list.

Please note: the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) compiles this list based on a government supplied formula; the University of Sydney does NOT choose which schools appear on the S01E list.

E12 student

Financial hardship eligibility

Individual Financial Hardship status is determined by lodging an EAS application. There are a number of categories in EAS that capture financial hardship status. In addition to Financial Hardship, you may have experienced other kinds of educational disadvantage and may choose to document these in your EAS application. For example, Refugee Status, Home environment and responsibilities, and disrupted schooling. For further information refer to the UAC website.

What NSW HSC subjects are my IB subjects comparable to?

To find out what HSC subjects your IB subjects are comparable to, please refer to UAC's Subject Comparison Table.

Other admission pathways

To find out about other pathways we offer, visit the admission pathways page. You can also contact our Helpline on 1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864) or email via online enquiry.