There are no prerequisites for admission into our undergraduate courses. However, for some courses we expect you to have studied specific subjects, or reached a certain level of knowledge, before you start. This is called ‘assumed knowledge’.
By having the relevant assumed knowledge for your course, you ensure you won’t be at a disadvantage when you get here.
The Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Health Sciences offer bridging courses to help you get up to speed.
Courses held by the Faculty of Science
Detailed information, dates and registration:
- Find out more about the courses below on the Faculty of Science bridging courses website
Many first-year units assume a certain level of mathematical knowledge. Students without the assumed knowledge are allowed to enrol but are likely to experience difficulties unless they take on additional study in preparation.
There are two different courses:
- The Extension 1 Course is for people who have done Mathematics (2-Unit) in the HSC and wish to enrol in a course which has an assumed knowledge of Extension 1 Mathematics (3-Unit).
- The 2 Unit Course is for people who have not done Mathematics (2-Unit) and want to study a subject for which 2-Unit Mathematics is assumed knowledge. The main content of this course will be an introduction to the differential calculus together with revision of the necessary algebra and coordinate geometry. Knowledge of basic Year 10 mathematics will be assumed.
This course is strongly recommended if you are starting university and have not completed HSC Biology. It is also a great opportunity to refresh your knowledge after a break from study, or if you found biology difficult at school.
If you intend to take a first year chemistry unit without having completed HSC Chemistry or completed HSC Chemistry earlier you should enrol and refresh your memory.
We are offering two different courses:
- for students studying across the sciences
- for students attending the Faculty of Health Sciences
This course is strongly recommended if you are starting university and are about to take physics for the first time, need to refresh your knowledge after a break from study, or have tried physics and found it difficult.
Courses held by the Faculty of Health Sciences
This course is strongly recommended for students enrolling in Speech Pathology.