Information for high school students

What's uni about?

Making the jump from high school to university can be a daunting one. Here you’ll find some information that will help you understand more about applying, studying and enjoying university.

What is the difference between undergraduate and postgraduate study

Two female students in lecture room

Undergraduate degrees are suitable for students who have not studied at university before, and usually mean you get a bachelor degree once you finish. If you are still in or finishing high school, undergraduate study is for you. Each degree has minimum entry requirements (usually an ATAR or equivalent for interstate students) and some require success in certain high school subjects.

If you’re interested, postgraduate degrees are intended for students wishing to expand on their undergraduate study, do specialised research, gain an advantage in their career, or make a career change. Postgraduate research study means you get a graduate certificate, graduate diploma, master’s degree or Doctorates (PhD).

The difference between degrees and diplomas

  • Degrees usually require more time and effort than diplomas, and therefore they are more highly regarded by employers.
  • Degrees require more academic study, whereas diplomas can be awarded based solely on practical skills.
  • Universities are the only type of educational institution that can award a degree (they can award graduate or postgraduate diplomas too).
  • An increasing number of employers require a Bachelor degree as a minimum level of achievement – depending on the position – before they will consider someone for a job.

The application process

  1. Come to Open Day (optional) on Saturday 30 August 2014
    See the campus, pick up brochures and talk to staff and students. You can find details about the program on the Open Day website around mid-July.
  2. Pick up a copy of the UAC guide
    If you are a HSC student you will get a UAC Guide from your school. It will also be available at NSW newsagents and can be ordered directly from UAC later in the year.
  3. Check if your course has additional selection criteria
    Some courses in music, visual arts, oral health, pharmacy and veterinary science require more than just a UAC application, while other faculties have flexible entry. Check your UAC guide for details.
  4. Apply through the Universities Admissions Centre
    On-time applications close 30 September each year.
  5. Come to Info Day on Tuesday 6 January 2015 (optional)
    Talk to our experts about your personal circumstances and options before finalising your UAC preferences. Detailed information and the program are available on the Info Day website from late November.
  6. Find out the results of your application through UAC
    The University makes most of its offers in the main round. If you receive an offer in the main round, you must attend the University in person to accept and enrol, or make prior arrangements for a proxy. In-person enrolment is on specific dates in January every year. If you don't get your preferred course straight away, we can help you decide what to do next.

Life as a university student

There is much more to university life than lectures and the library. There are over 200 clubs and societies to join, and there are regular events on campus. Clubs and societies are a great way to meet people with similar interests as you. Visit the University of Sydney Union website for more information.