How to accept an offer

Students in the Quadrangle

Now that you have your Unconditional Offer from the University of Sydney, you need to formally accept it. You need to do this before the deadline stated on your letter of offer.

Below you will find detailed information about:

How to accept your Unconditional Offer

Step 1. Accept the Unconditional Offer

There are two ways you can accept your Unconditional Offer:

  1. Follow the link in your “Confirm Your Place” email to accept your offer.
  2. Log-on to your Sydney Student portal directly. To do this you will need your Sydney Student identification number (SID) which can be found on your offer letter. If you have forgotten your password you can retrieve it here.
Step 2. Pay your fees or deposit

Your place in the course is not confirmed until payment of the amount listed on your offer letter has been received.

You will need to make full payment by the due date on your offer letter, unless the letter explicitly states otherwise.

Full payment will include:

  • Tuition fees
  • Student services and amenities fee (SSA fee)
  • Health insurance (Overseas Student Health Cover)

For detailed information about fees, health insurance, loan schemes for international students, and methods of payment, see Costs and fees.

Step 3. Students who are under 18

You may have additional visa and/or guardianship requirements, if you will be under 18 years of age when you arrive in Australia.

Subject choices

If you decide to start your course in July, you may be more restricted in your subject choices, as some faculties offer fewer units of study in that semester. For more information, consult your faculty’s handbook.

Health and criminal record checks

If you will be a health care student (in the faculties of Dentistry, Health Sciences, Medicine, or Nursing and Midwifery), your course may require you to complete clinical training, fieldwork or placements in facilities operated by the New South Wales Department of Health. This means you need to provide evidence of appropriate health screenings, including current vaccination records.

If a health check is a requirement for your course, you will be sent information and forms separately by mail. Please bring your health records and all forms to your faculty when enrolling.

Criminal record checks may also be required for some courses involving placements in health and education facilities in New South Wales.

Credit for previous study

If your Unconditional Offer says you have been granted academic credit (for previous study), you need to decide whether to accept or reject the credit being offered.

When making your decision, it’s important to understand that by accepting academic credit you may change the duration of your course. The exact effect depends on how many units of credit you have been granted and the course structure. Changing the duration of your course can also affect the duration of your student visa.

You can also apply for credit and/or recognition for prior learning via your Sydney Student portal by selecting My Studies > Course Details.

Governing law

This Offer and Acceptance are governed by the law in force in New South Wales. By accepting this offer of admission to the University of Sydney, you submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of New South Wales, Australia.

Refund policy

If you have accepted a UAC offer but are successful in gaining another offer through UAC in a later round, you will be eligible for a 100 percent refund on the deposit fee you have already paid.

This does not apply if you applied directly to the University of Sydney, in which case you will be subject to the standard University of Sydney Refund Policy.

Important information for Australian permanent residents

Your current offer is valid for admission to the University of Sydney as an international student. If you are granted Australian permanent residency, you must advise the International Services Office immediately by completing a Change of Visa to Permanent Resident Status form, and providing a copy of the personal details page and the visa from your passport.

If you are granted Australian Permanent Residence status before you commence your course, you will need to be reassessed for admission to a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP).

Eligibility for admission to a CSP depends on whether the standard of results you achieved in your previous academic qualifications are equivalent to that required by a domestic student to obtain a CSP (for the same course and semester). It also depends on whether a CSP is available in your selected course.

If you are not eligible for a CSP in your applied course, your offer may be revoked. If you still wish to enrol at the University, you will need to apply for admission to a course for which you do meet the CSP entry requirements.

If you are granted Australian Permanent Resident status after commencing your course, according to the Higher Education Support Act 2003, you may be transferred to a domestic full-fee-paying place.