How to apply
The following pages explain all you need to know about applying for a postgraduate coursework program at the University of Sydney. If you’d prefer specific advice on your situation, we’re happy to help. You can either ask a question online, or speak to a University of Sydney representative in your country.
Checklist: are you ready to apply?
- Do you have an acceptable undergraduate qualification?
- Did you achieve the necessary grades to get into your preferred course?
- Can you prove your English language proficiency?
- Do you meet any special entry conditions required by your course?
Please remember, at this stage we cannot guarantee you a place in your preferred course. It depends on the number of places available and on meeting the entry requirements.
We strongly encourage you to apply well in advance of the closing date for your course. This is so that you can receive a timely application outcome that allows adequate time to make necessary visa and travel arrangements and arrive in time to commence your course. Please note that separate scholarship deadlines apply and you must check the relevant website for closing dates that may apply for some scholarships. Most offers are made on a rolling basis and places are limited.
Submit your application online – step by step guide
As a postgraduate student, you need to apply to the University of Sydney using our online application system.
- First, select the course you want to apply for using Find a Course. Prepare yourself to apply well in advance of the closing date as places are limited.
- Look at the section for ‘International applicants’, click on ‘apply now’, select your entry year and semester, then click on ‘apply directly’. (Do not click on ‘apply through UAC’ as this option is not available for international postgraduate applicants.)
- You will be directed to the University of Sydney online application portal, where you can fill in your application form.
- Remember to attach all the relevant documentation. If your application is approved for admission, you may be required to provide original or original certified documents.
- Pay the application processing fee ($100).
- When you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation email from the University.
- Once your application has been processed by the University, you will receive notification about whether you have been successful in gaining a place in your preferred course.
- If successful, the University will send you a ‘firm’ or ‘conditional’ offer.
- Accept your offer, and accept/decline any credit for previous studies.
- Enrol with your faculty and choose your units of study.
Important note: As most of the correspondence we send you regarding your application is via email, we strongly recommend you add the University of Sydney to your approved sender list. Also, you should also regularly check your junk mail folder just in case University emails have been misdirected there.
Applying through a University representative (agent)
You can also apply for a course through a University of Sydney representative (agent) in Australia or another country. Note that some agents charge a fee for their services.
A representative may be helpful if you want advice on choosing a course, relocating and living in Australia, or if you need help to complete documentation required by the University of Sydney or the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship.