Health insurance for international students

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

bicycle rack

If you are going to be studying at the University of Sydney on an Australian student visa, you need to have appropriate health insurance for the duration of your studies.

This insurance needs to be acquired through an approved provider of the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) scheme. It is a requirement of the Australian government (unless otherwise exempted by the government).

OSHC provides free access to the University Health Service and public hospitals in Australia (though waiting periods apply for some health treatments). Higher-level cover, giving access to private hospitals, for example) is your responsibility.

You can purchase OSHC through the University of Sydney or you can arrange your own OSHC independently through an approved provider. The Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing lists approved providers on its website.

If you choose to purchase health insurance through the University, you will need to pay the OSHC amount specified on your letter of offer. The University will then schedule your first payment to its preferred provider, Allianz Global Assistance Overseas Health Cover. Please note that you will be personally responsible for all future renewal payments to Allianz Global Assistance Overseas Health Cover.

If you already have valid OSHC or if you wish to purchase it independently from an approved provider, please complete the appropriate section on your Acceptance of Offer and DO NOT include the OSHC amount in your first fee payment to the University of Sydney.

If you purchase OSHC through the University of Sydney, we will advise the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) on your behalf. If you choose to purchase OSHC independently you must provide evidence of your OSHC membership when you submit your Australian student visa application.

Membership of a health insurance scheme in your home country does not exempt you from paying OSHC. Only the following students are exempt from paying the Australian Overseas Student Health Cover as a result of special inter-governmental arrangements:

  • Swedish students covered by MARSH
  • Norwegian students covered by the National Norwegian Insurance Scheme
  • Belgian students covered by Belgian Government Insurance Scheme
  • New Zealand students who come to Australia on a non-student visa and have entitlements under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between Australia and New Zealand.

Students holding Australian government scholarships have their health insurance cover paid directly to Allianz Global Assistance Overseas Health Cover.

If you insure with Allianz Global Assistance Overseas Health Cover through the University then you consent to the University disclosing your relevant personal details (for example, your family name, given name, sex, date of birth, start date and campus code) to Allianz Global Assistance Overseas Health Cover so your cover can be registered.

Order the OSHC membership card

Once you have arrived in Sydney, you will need to collect your OSHC membership card. To order one, visit the Allianz Global Assistance Overseas Health Cover website, click on ‘Students’ toolbar, login and then select ‘Order a Membership Card’.

If you need to see a doctor before your membership card is issued, you will need to pay the doctor first and then claim a refund from your healthcare fund.

More information

Allianz Global Assistance Overseas Health Cover has a representative on the University of Sydney campus, who can help you obtain your membership card and assist with claims and other queries. The representative is available from Monday to Friday, between 9am and 5pm, at the International Student Office, Level 4, Jane Foss Russell Building (see map).

For more information about health insurance for international students, please visit: