Applications - International Experiences
On this page
A limited number of International Elective Opportunities are still available via the Office for Global Health.
These include placements at the following institutions:
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
- Université Pierre et Marie Curie, France
- Dresden Medical School, Germany
- Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Science, India
- University of Gadjah Mada, Indonesia
- University of Health Sciences, Laos
- University of Medicine Magway, Myanmar
- Department of Health, Niue
- National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
- Ministry of Health, Tonga
- Makerere University, Uganda
Applications for these placements open Tuesday, 6th May 2014.
All applications must be received no later than Sunday, 25th May 2014.
University of Sydney funded scholarship opportunities have closed for this year. Therefore, these placements must be self-funded or through alternative scholarship/grant schemes (eg: OS-HELP Loans, MIGA grants, AsiaBound grants, etc).
All other Electives not listed above have been filled for the coming Elective Term.
For further information please see our International Experiences pages
3rd year medical students should look out for a bulletin calling for applications in May 2014.
Applications for the above Electives must include:
- Completed application form including an essay of no more than 500 words explaining your interest in undertaking an OGH placement (this may be in reference to your first preference listed above). Download the application form
- CV with passport photo embedded in document
- Letter of approval from Honours Sub Deans (if applicable)
Complete applications should be emailed to by Sunday, 25th May 2014 in one attachment only (either Word or pdf NOT zip).
MIGA (the Medical Insurance Group) is offering financial grants to students completing their elective placements in developing communities. The Elective Grants program opens on 5 May 2014, closing 29 August 2014 (notifications after 10 October 2014) and is themed "Supporting medical students in developing communities". MIGA are offering 6 grants, of $2,000 each to assist in meeting travel and accommodation expenses, as well as a $1,500 Medical Support Grant to enable the student to provide aid to the community in which they undertake their elective. The total value of the individual grant is $3,500.
For more information, and to apply online, please visit http://www.miga.com.au/content.aspx?p=57
Incoming applicants from partner institutions to the University of Sydney should liaise with the appropriate contact person at their own institution to apply.