Applications - International Experiences & Scholarships
On this page
Applications open Thursday 28 February, 2013.
All applications must be received no later than Tuesday, 12 March, 2013.
All scholarships will be awarded from application only.
Successful scholarship recipients will be notified by Wednesday, 20 March, 2013.
The interview process will be for the allocation of the clinical placements within the exchange program; if you are not awarded a scholarship your clinical placement must be self-funded with some fee- waivers available at particular institutions. For further information please see our elective pages.
All interviews will take place 2-5 April, 2013 (possibly earlier for those applying to Karolinska - TBA).
International placements will be confirmed by 8 April, 2013
All eligible applications will be considered regardless of the student’s clinical school, nationality or ethnicity.
A number of scholarships may be awarded to outstanding applicants for international placements.
- Dean’s Scholarship (Up to 12 scholarships valued at $3000)
Previous recipients of Sydney Medical Scholarships are not eligible to apply
- Martin William Kimmings Scholarship (1 scholarship valued at $5000)
- The Carl Richard Jackson Scholarship (2 scholarships valued at $2500)
- Technion University (2 scholarships valued at $3000)
Application procedures: University of Sydney (USyd) students should look for bulletins calling for applications in the first part of Semester 1. Written applications will be called for via a student bulletin and short-listed applicants will be asked to attend an interview. Telephone may be used if students are on rural placements at the time of interview.
Application process and criteria for the above scholarships and international experience
- CV with passport photo embedded in document
- Completed cover form
- 2 written references (one must be academic from any institution or affiliated with your Clinical School)
- Transcript of results (e-copy will suffice) from current and/or latest degree (1st years require only the latter)
- Address the following criteria (maximum 200 words for each criteria):
Explain how your international placement will:
1. Build on your interests in your specified area of global health
2. Facilitate your career development
3. Potentially benefit the exchange institutions
4. Potentially benefit the Australian and/or other communities
5. Potentially contribute to the body of scientific knowledge
Complete applications should be emailed to by Tuesday, 12 March, 2013
Many of you have asked for clarification on a number of issues. We have brought your questions together in this FAQs.
- I have put more than one preference down in my application form for different OGH placements, how do I address the selection if I am interested in more than one place?
Answer the section criteria questions mostly about your first choice but you might like to refer to the other preferences as well.
- Is the Dean’s Scholarship open to everyone?
Yes, everyone who is seeking an international experience whether ILA, elective, specialty block or research focussed is entitled to apply for the Dean’s Scholarship.
- Can I apply for two 4-week OGH placements?
Yes, you can, however because of the volume of applications it is unlikely that you will be offered two OGH placements. Many undertake a 4-week OGH placement followed by a 4-week self-arranged placement.
- If I apply for a placement and am successful, do I have to take it? I can only afford to go to that placement if I get a Dean’s Scholarship.
Please apply for the placement you are most interested in ONLY if you can support it with your own resources. Do not assume that you will receive a Dean’s Scholarship to support you. We try hard to select the best student for the placement. If you apply for a placement and are successful and then pull out because you don’t receive a scholarship you will have jeopardised others opportunities to undertake that placement.
- Can I organise a placement at one of the OGH partner institutions myself?
No, the only way to access the OGH placements is through the OGH application process. Independent inquiries to our partner institutions is NOT acceptable.
- The closing date on the form says Tuesday 12th March, 2013. Is this the last date to apply?
- Can I go over the word limit?
No, answering the question within the required word limit is a skill that you will increasingly be asked to demonstrate. This is good practice.
- I am really interested in such and such a placement. Can you tell me more about it?
No. As we are involved in the selection process, OGH staff and others involved will not answer additional questions about individual placements. Please consult the OGH website and do some independent research to find out more.
Incoming applicants from partner institutions to the University of Sydney should liaise with the appropriate contact person at their own institution to apply.