The Discipline of Finance in the University of Sydney Business School is a leading research group currently ranked among the top five finance groups in the Asia-Pacific region. Discipline members are actively engaged with industry both nationally and internationally, which means you get high-level, market-specific knowledge that mixes theory with current relevant practice. This major takes an applied approach, teaching you how capital markets work and what you need to know to work in them.
Requirements for a major in Finance
For the award of a major in Finance, students must complete:
1. One junior unit of study (six credit points) selected from the units offered by the University of Sydney Business School. +
+ It is strongly recommended that students who wish to complete a Finance major also complete BUSS1020 Quantitative Business Analysis (or ECMT1010 Business and Economic Statistics A), BUSS1040 Economics for Business Decision Making (or ECON1001 Introductory Microeconomics) and ECON1002 Introductory Macroeconomics in their first year of enrolment (subject to degree constraints) before attempting any FINC units of study. BUSS1020 and BUSS1040 are core units of study for the Bachelor of Commerce and related combined Commerce degrees.
2. Six senior units of study (36 credit points), comprising:
(i) three compulsory senior units of study (18 credit points), as follows:
- FINC2011 Corporate Finance I
- FINC2012 Corporate Finance II
- FINC3017 Investments and Portfolio Management.
(ii) a minimum of 18 credit points of senior elective units of study (a minimum of three units) selected from the following options:
- BUSS2100 Business Placement A (Internship) #
- FINC3011 International Financial Management
- FINC3012 Derivative Securities
- FINC3013 Mergers and Acquisitions
- FINC3014 Trading and Dealing in Security Markets
- FINC3015 Financial Valuation: Case Study Approach
- FINC3018 Bank Financial Management
- FINC3019 Fixed Income Securities
- FINC3020 Financial Risk Management
- FINC3021 Mathematical Finance
- FINC3022 Alternative Investments
- FINC3023 Behavioural Finance.
# Students must seek approval from the Discipline of Finance to include this unit as an elective for their major.
Please check the Business School unit of study table in the Units of study for details of the unit prerequisites, corequisites and other requirements.