A Management major provides the tools and concepts students need to understand how organisations work and the critical role of managers within them. This includes building knowledge in important areas such as developing and implementing strategy, driving organisational change and leading teams to achieve organisational objectives. Management is commonly understood as the process of planning, organising, leading and controlling the efforts of organisational members and deploying resources inside and outside the organisation to achieve set objectives. The Management major draws on subjects from a number of disciplines in the Business School to give students a well-rounded understanding of management thought and management practice. Students can also make an application to undertake work placement in management as a part of their studies.
Requirements for a major in Management
For the award of a major in Management, students complete:
(1) a six credit point junior unit of study from the University of Sydney Business School.+
+ The junior unit selected may be a core unit or an optional junior unit which may be a prerequisite for an elective option under this major.
(2) 36 credit points of senior units of study, comprising:
(i) 18 credit points of compulsory units of study, as follows:
- WORK2201 Foundations of Management
- WORK2210 Strategic Management
- WORK2218 Managing Organisational Behaviour.
(ii) 18 credit points of elective units of study selected from the following options:
- IBUS2102 Cross-Cultural Management
- IBUS3107 Business Negotiations
- QBUS2350 Project Planning and Management
- WORK2209 Managing Organisational Change *
- WORK2211 Human Resource Strategies *
- WORK2217 International Human Resource Management
- WORK2219 Managing Organisational Sustainability
- WORK2221 Organisational Communication
- WORK2222 Leadership in Organisations
- WORK2227 Regulation at Work
- WORK3922 Organisational Research Methods.
* Not offered for 2015.
Note: Some of these senior elective options require the completion of additional prerequisites outside of those units of study listed for this major.
Note: All units of study listed are six credit points unless otherwise indicated.
Please check the Business School unit of study tables for details of unit prerequisites, corequisites and other requirements.