A Management major provides students with the knowledge, skills and abilities to understand how organisations work and the critical role of managers within them. The study of management includes building knowledge in important areas such as developing and implementing strategy, driving organisational change and leading teams to achieve organisational objectives. Management is commonly understood as: (i) the process of planning, organising, leading and controlling the efforts of organisational members; and (ii) deploying resources inside and outside the organisation to achieve set objectives. The Management major draws on subjects from a number of disciplines in the Business School to give students a well-rounded understanding of management thought and management practice. Students can also make an application to undertake work placement in management as a part of their studies.
Management is a Table A subject area - Major I subject area for the Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies).
Requirements for a major in Management
For the award of a major in Management, students complete:
(1) a six credit point junior unit of study from the University of Sydney Business School.+
+ The junior unit selected may be a core unit or an optional junior unit which may be a prerequisite for an elective option under this major.
(2) 36 credit points in senior units of study, comprising:
(i) 18 credit points in compulsory units of study, as follows:
- WORK2201 Foundations of Management
- WORK2210 Strategic Management
- WORK2218 Managing Organisational Behaviour.
(ii) 18 credit points in elective units of study selected from the following options:
- IBUS2102 Cross-Cultural Management
- IBUS3107 Business Negotiations
- QBUS2350 Project Planning and Management
- WORK2209 Managing Organisational Change *
- WORK2211 Human Resource Strategies *
- WORK2217 International Human Resource Management
- WORK2219 Managing Organisational Sustainability
- WORK2221 Organisational Communication
- WORK2222 Leadership in Organisations
- WORK2227 Regulation at Work
- WORK3922 Organisational Research Methods *
* Not offered for 2017.
Note: Some of these senior elective units require the completion of additional prerequisites not listed for this major.
Note: All units of study listed are six credit points unless otherwise indicated.
Unit of study prerequisites, corequisites and other requirements are outlined in Table A units of study: The University of Sydney Business School.