Management is the process of planning, organising, leading and controlling the efforts of organisational members and using resources inside and outside the organisation to achieve set objectives. A Management major draws on subjects from a number of disciplines in the Business School and develops a sound understanding of managing the internal processes of organisations and the relationship between organisations and their environments.
Requirements for a major in Management
For the award of a major in Management, students complete:
1. At least one junior unit of study (six credit points) from the University of Sydney Business School.#
# The junior unit selected may be a core unit or an optional junior unit which may be a prerequisite for an elective option under this major.
2. Six senior units of study (36 credit points), comprising:
(i) three compulsory senior units of study (18 credit points), as follows:
- WORK2201 Foundations of Management
- WORK2210 Strategic Management
- WORK2218 Managing Organisational Behaviour.
(ii) a minimum of three senior elective units of study (18 credit points) selected from the following options:
Note: Some of these senior elective options will require the completion of additional prerequisites outside of those units of study listed for this major.
- BUSS2100 Business Placement A (Internship) #
- IBUS2102 Cross-Cultural Management
- IBUS3107 Business Negotiations
- QBUS2350 Project Planning and Management
- WORK2209 Managing Organisational Change
- WORK2211 Human Resource Strategies
- WORK2217 International Human Resource Management
- WORK2219 Managing Organisational Sustainability
- WORK2221 Organisational Communication *
- WORK2222 Leadership in Organisations
- WORK2227 Regulation at Work
- WORK3922 Oranisational Research Methods.
# Students must seek approval from the Discipline of Work and Organisational Studies to include this unit as an elective for their major.
* Not offered for 2014.
Please check the Business School unit of study tables in the Units of study section for details of the unit prerequisites, corequisites and other requirements.