Marketing is a pervasive element in modern society and is increasingly vital to the success of private and public sector organisations. The major in marketing emphasises critical and analytical thinking and the practice of marketing as an applied science. A Marketing major provides knowledge about consumer behaviour and purchase decision making, integrating theory and practice from many branches of the social sciences. Team building, presentation skills, initiative and business planning skills are important elements of this major.
Requirements for a major in Marketing
For the award of a major in Marketing, students complete:
(1) a six credit point junior prerequisite unit of study for the major, as follows:
- MKTG1001 Marketing Principles.
(2) 36 credit points of senior units of study, comprising:
(i) 18 credit points of compulsory units of study, as follows:
- MKTG2112 Consumer Behaviour
- MKTG2113 Marketing Research
- MKTG3118 Marketing Strategy and Planning.
(ii) 18 credit points of senior units of study selected from the following options:
- CLAW2212 Franchising
- MKTG3110 Electronic Marketing
- MKTG3112 Marketing Communications
- MKTG3114 New Products Marketing
- MKTG3116 International Marketing
- MKTG3117 Services Marketing
- MKTG3119 Public Relations Management
- MKTG3120 Building and Managing Brands
- MKTG3121 Advertising: Creative Principles
- MKTG3211 Contemporary Issues in Marketing. *
* Not offered for 2015.
Note: All units of study listed are six credit points unless otherwise indicated.
Please check the Business School unit of study table for details of unit prerequisites, corequisites and other requirements.