Quantitative Business Analysis
Quantitative Business Analysis introduces students to the quantitative methods they will need in order to thrive in the modern business world. Business Analytics is concerned with using business data to develop new insights and understanding. This involves being able to extract and summarise information from the rich data sets readily available in today's business environment; it involves being able to analyse this data in a way that leads to useful models of both the operations and the environment of a business; and it involves being able to respond appropriately as managers to quantitative information and quantitative models, and as such be able to make better business decisions.
As well as being useful in their own right, these skills in business analytics will also enhance the effectiveness in the workplace of graduates majoring in other business disciplines. There is a range of electives offered within this major, so that students can select topics in business statistics, in operations management and in decision sciences.
Requirements for a major in Quantitative Business Analysis
For the award of a major in Quantitative Business Analysis, students complete:
1. One junior prerequisite unit of study (six credit points) for the major, as follows:
- BUSS1020 Quantitative Business Analysis (OR ECMT1010 Business and Economic Statistics A) +
+ Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Commerce and related combined degrees must complete BUSS1020 as it is a core unit for their programs, rather than the ECMT alternative.
2. Six senior units of study (36 credit points), comprising:
(i) two compulsory senior units of study (12 credit points), as follows:
- QBUS2310 Management Science
- QBUS2810 Statistical Modelling for Business.
(ii) a minimum of four senior elective units of study (24 credit points) selected from the following unit options including at least two units with a QBUS 3000 code:
- BUSS2100 Business Placement A (Internship) #
- QBUS2320 Methods of Decision Analysis
- QBUS2330 Operations Management
- QBUS2350 Project Planning and Management
- QBUS2820 Predictive Analytics
- QBUS3310 Advanced Management Science
- QBUS3320 Supply Chain Management
- QBUS3810 Business Risk Analysis
- QBUS3820 Data Mining and Data Analysis
- QBUS3830 Advanced Analytics.
# Students must seek approval from the Discipline of Business Analytics to include this unit as an elective for their major.
Please check the Business School unit of study table in the Units of study for details of the unit prerequisites, corequisites and other requirements.
Junior elective units of study
The following junior Quantitative Business Analysis unit of study can be completed as an elective in Business School programs (Note: This unit is a not prerequisites for any major).
- QBUS1030 Business Modelling with Spreadsheets.*
* Not offered for 2014.