Master of Professional Accounting (16 unit program)
Note: This course is for students commencing from Semester 2, 2013 (July).
To be awarded the Master of Professional Accounting, students complete 16 units of study (96 credit points), comprising:
- 13 core units of study (78 credit points), including seven foundational units of study (48 credit points); and
- three elective units of study (18 credit points).
Students must the following seven foundational core units of study (42 credit points).
- ACCT5001 Accounting Principles (must be completed in first semester)
- BUSS5000 Critical Thinking in Business (must be completed in first semester)
- BUSS5001 Firms, Markets and Business Management
- CLAW5001 Legal Environment of Business
- FINC5001 Capital Markets and Corporate Finance
- INFS5000 Accounting Information Systems
- QBUS5002 Quantitative Methods for Accounting.
Students must complete all six advanced core units of study (36 credit points). The core capstone unit ACCT6010 must be completed in a student’s final semester of study.
- ACCT5002 Managerial Accounting and Decision Making
- ACCT6001 Intermediate Financial Reporting
- ACCT6007 Contemporary Issues in Auditing
- ACCT6010 Advanced Financial Reporting (capstone: must be completed in final semester)
- CLAW6002 Corporate Structures in Practice
- CLAW6026 Taxation Law and Practice.
Students select three elective units of study (18 credit points) from the following options:
- ACCT6002 International Accounting
- ACCT6003 Financial Statement Analysis
- ACCT6005 Management Control Systems
- ACCT6006 Advanced Managerial Accounting
- ACCT6014 Designing Accounting Systems
- ACCT6015 Extended Performance Reporting
- ACCT6116 Corporate Collapse *
- ACCT6118 Public Sector Accounting *
- ACCT6120 Corporate Governance and Accountability
- BUSS6500 Industry Placement ^
- CLAW6005 Regulation of Capital Markets
- CLAW6030 China’s Legal Environment for Business
- CLAW6031 International Financial Crime
- FINC6001 Intermediate Corporate Finance
- FINC6013 International Business Finance
- FINC6016 Financial Instruments and Markets
- INFS6012 Enterprise Systems Management
- INFS6031 Project Management and Accounting
- IBUS5003 Global Business
- QBUS6310 Business Operations Analysis
- WORK5003 Management and Organisations
- WORK6030 Performance and Rewards.
^ High-performing students who have completed at least 24 credit points of study in the program may be eligible to replace an elective with BUSS6500 Industry Placement, if selected for work placement on competitive merit.
* Not offered for 2013.
The following table illustrates a suggested full-time learning sequence for the 16 unit Master of Professional Accounting program (commencing from Semester 2).
Units of study
Please note: The information listed in this example is based on the unit of study offerings for 2013 and is intended as a guide only. Students are usually able to complete the units of study for their course in different sequences to that which is listed (including enrolling in units in Summer or Winter School sessions when available). Students are advised to plan their course based upon their individual needs and to contact the Student Information Office if they need any assistance in planning their progression in their degree.