Master's Preliminary Course
Candidates who demonstrate through audition, interview and/or portfolio of work that they have a capacity to undertake the Master of Music degree in Performance, Composition, Musicology or Music Education, but whose prior learning is deficient in a specific area may, on the advice of the Graduate Studies Committee be admitted to the Master's Preliminary Course.
Students normally undertake:
- programs within the master's preliminary courses drawn from existing undergraduate units of study within the Conservatorium
- programs delivered by the Student Learning Centre at the University of Sydney
- preliminary research projects in the student's area of research interest (designed to give the student basic research competencies)
Programs are designed around the individual needs of particular students on the advice of the admission panel. The course normally represents 15 credit points per semester and is subject to pro-rata fee payment. Assessment in this course consists of the following:
- completion of assessment requirements of specified undergraduate units of study and Student Learning Centre units as stipulated by the Associate Dean, and
- an essay of 5000 words on a negotiated topic, demonstrating competence in research and academic writing.
Master's preliminary units of study
- PREL4001 Project 1 (6cp)
- PREL4002 Project 2 (6cp)
- PREL4003 Elective A (3cp)
- PREL4004 Elective B (3cp)
- PREL4005 Elective C (3 cp)
- PREL4006 Elective D (3 cp)