At the master's level, students will be able to perform as autonomous learners capable of integrating prior learning while exploring professional contexts and the sociopolitical climate. Students will also be able to advance their capacity for clinical judgement by engaging with the complexities of practice and discipline knowledge.
The course consists of eight, six credit point theoretical units of study:
- NURS5012 Assessment and Clinical Judgement
- NURS5076 Pathophysiological Phenomena in Nursing
- NURS5071 Strengthening Nursing Leadership
- NURS5088 Pharmacology for Advanced Practice
- NURS5089 Assessment and Diagnostic Reasoning
- NURS5069 Research in Nursing and Health Care
- NURS5077 Quality Use of Medicines in Practice
and one of the following specialty electives:
- NURS5061 Expanding Clinical Nursing Practice
- NURS5072 Expanding Cancer and Haematology Practice
- NURS5074 Expanding Practice in the ICU and ED
- NURS5075 Expanding Practice in Mental Health
Additionally, in the second year of study, students will undertake two 12 credit point practice-based units of study NURS5079 Capstone (Professional Practice) and NURS5087 Developing Nurse Practitioner Capability, which collectively include 300 advanced clinical practice hours. Please refer to the unit of study table related to this program.
Students generally undertake three units of study per semester full time. Students studying part time will undertake two units of study per semester. In the final year, students will undertake two 12 credit point units of study. All units are offered in the intensive on-campus mode with students required to attend study days and undertake e-learning and independent study. Assessment consists of written assignments, clinical assessments and examinations.
These resolutions must be read in conjunction with applicable University By-laws, Rules and policies including (but not limited to) the University of Sydney (Coursework) Rule 2014 (the 'Coursework Rule'), the Coursework Policy 2014, the Resolutions of the Faculty, the University of Sydney (Student Appeals against Academic Decisions) Rule 2006 (as amended) and the Academic Board policies on Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism. Up to date versions of all such documents are available from the Policy Register: http://www.sydney.edu.au/policies.
Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner)