Dr Daniel Hackett
BExSc ACU, MHSc (Honours) Sydney, PhD Sydney
Lecturer, Exercise and Sport Science
C43H - H Block
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 9294|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 9204|
Exercise Physiology and Nutrition Research Team
Daniel was awarded his PhD (University of Sydney) titled 'Training Practices, Respiratory Muscle Performance and Assessing of Resistance Training Effort in Bodybuilders' in April 2013. He is an early career researcher in the initial phase of establishing his research profile, building collaborative relationships and a research environment. While Daniel's PhD was focused on exercise responses to both aerobic and resistance exercise in apparently healthy individuals (i.e. bodybuilders and endurance athletes), his current research is focused towards exercise response in patients with chronic and complex diseases (e.g. obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease).
- Physical Activity
- Resistance Exercise
- Risk Factor Reduction
- Cardiovascular Disease
Daniel is a member of the Exercise Physiology and Nutrition research team:
Teaching and supervision
Daniel coordinates and teaches numerous undergraduate and postgraduate units of study within the Discipline of Exercise and Sport Science. These units include exercise health and disease, exercise and rehabilitation, professional practice, and clinical case studies in exercise science. Daniel's teaching style relies heavily on research-led teaching and employs a style which aims to promote deep learning and critical evaluation. He is currently looking for students to supervise who are interested in research focused towards resistance exercise responses and adaptations in healthy individuals (e.g. athletes such as bodybuilders) or patients with cardiovascular disease, obesity, and diabetes.
Current research students
|Project title||Research student|
|The Effect of Specific Warm-Ups at Varying Intensities on Resistance Training Performance and its Potential to Enhance Muscular Hypertrophy||Tim DAVIES|
Daniel is currently involved in collaborative research within and outside of the university.
One clinical trial with Dr Nathan Johnson (University of Sydney) and the Boden Institute of Obesity, Nutrition, Exercise & Eating Disorders investigating the effects of exercise on liver fat reduction in patients with pre-diabetes.
Two clinical trials with Professor Sharon Kilbreath and the Breast Cancer Research Group within the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Sydney and University of Queensland.
- Academic Member Australian Association for Exercise and Sport Science (ESSA)
- Accredited Exercise Physiologist (ESSA)
Exercise, Health and Performance
- SSEAC Mobility - Research collaboration with Dr Victor Selvarajah of University of Malaya; Hackett D; Sydney Southeast Asia Centre/Mobility Grant.
- Physique traits, muscle performance, and health status of natural body builders and powerlifters; Hackett D, O'Connor H, Mavros Y, Clarke J, Slater G, Keogh J, McClellan C, Hagstrom M; Collaborative Research Network for Advancing Exercise & Sports Science (CRN-AESS)/Research Capacity Building Seeding Grant Scheme.
- Pilot study of progressive resistance training for sedentary adults with Charcot-Marie-Tooth; Fiatarone Singh M, Burns J, Fornusek C, Hackett D; Charcot-Marie-Tooth Association of Australia (CMTAA)/Research Support.
- Investigating dietary intake of body builders; O'Connor H, Hackett D; Sports Dietitians Australia/Research Support.