Dr Sarah Dennis
Grad Assoc Phys (Sheffield) MSc (UCL) PhD (Queen Mary London) Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (University of Sydney)
Senior Lecturer, Physiotherapy
C43O - O Block Cumberland Campus
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 9265|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 9278|
Lung & Heart Physiotherapy Research Group
Dr Dennis is a senior lecturer in the Discipline of Physiotherapy. Her research interests are in the prevention, diagnosis and management of chronic conditions. The focus of this research is in the context ofequty and access in primary health care, integration of care across health sectors and health literacy. She is the Honours Director for the Faculty of Health Sciences and also holds a conjoint senior lecturer position at the Centre for Primary Health Care and Equity at UNSW.
- Prevention, diagnosis and management of chronic conditions with a focus on primary health care and integration of care across health sectors.
- Management of chronic respiratory conditions such as asthma and COPD.
- Self-management for chronic conditions.
- Health literacy.
- Health equity and disadvantage.
- Impact and management of multi-morbidity.
- Practice based research networks in primary care including use of practice data for chronic disease management.
Keywords: chronic disease, prevention, chronic disease management, multi-morbidity, primary health care, integration, health literacy, physiotherapy
Teaching and supervision
- PHTY2060 Preventive Health Unit of Study Co-ordinator
- Honours Director Faculty of Health Sciences
- Research higher degree supervision in the areas of chronic disease prevention and management, including impact of multi-morbidity, integration of care, health literacy
- She is currently supervising or is an associate supervisor for 3 PhD and 1 Masters students at the University of Sydney and 2 PhD students at UNSW. She has previously supervised or been an associate supervisor for2 Honours, 1 Masters students and 1 PhD student.
- Strategies for developing health literate organisations and the impact on equitable access to health care: Systematic literature review
- Health Literacy Among Adult Outpatients of Allied Health at Westmead Hospital: An Observational Survey-Based Study
- Interdisciplinary e-Health Advancement and Research Team (IeHART). Funded by University of Sydney
- Evaluation of the Eastern Sydney Medicare Local community pulmonary rehabilitation
- eHealth initiatives and health care integration in GP Super Clinics. Funded by Australian Primary Health Research Institute (APHCRI)
- Emerging models of integrated primary health care centres: their impact on access and integration of care and contributing factors. Funded by Australian Primary Health Research Institute (APHCRI)
- Using the electronic Practice Based Research Network (ePBRN) to prevent re-admission for type-2 diabetes (funded by HCF)
- A cluster randomised trial of early intervention for COPD by practice nurse - GP teams (NHMRC Project Grant)
- Realist synthesis of self-management interventions for disadvantaged populations with chronic conditions (funded by CIHR)
- Evaluation of a health learner project in a disadvantaged high school
- Australian Association for Academic Primary Care
- Society for Social Medicine (UK)
- Member of Chartered Society of Physiotherapists (UK)
Awards and honours
- 2010 AFP best paper award for Jeremy Bunker, Oshana Hermiz, Nicholas Zwar, Sarah M Dennis, Sanjyot Vagholkar, Alan Crockett, et al. Feasibility and efficacy of COPD case finding by practice nurses. Australian Family Physician. 2009;38(10):826-30.
- Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute (APHCRI) Travelling Fellowship, 2007
Clinical and Rehabilitation Sciences
PhD and master's project opportunities
(University of British Columbia)
Dr Sue Mills, "Realist synthesis of self-management interventions for disadvantaged populations with chronic conditions."
- Emerging models of integrated primary health care centres: their impact on access and integration of care and contributing factors; McDonald J, Russell G, Dennis S, Fuller J; Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute./Integrated Primary Health Care Centres.
- e-Health initiatives and health care integration in GP Super Clinics; Liaw S, Taggart J, Tam M, Harris M, Dennis S; Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute./Research Support.
- Towards seamless cancer care: What do GPs in South Western Sydney need to facilitate better integration with cancer services?; Dennis S, Knight A, Delaney J, Girgis A, Vagholkar S, Liaw S; NSW Cancer Institute/Research Innovation Grant.
- A rapid review of telephone coaching for chronic disease(s); Dennis S, Harris M, Lloyd J; Sax Institute/Research Support.
- The impact of a Rapid Equity Focussed Health Impact Assessment (EFHIA) on local planning for after hours care to better meet the needs of vulnerable populations; Dennis S, Harris E, Wise M, Furler J; Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute/BLO Project.
- A cluster randomised trial of early intervention for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease by practice nurse-GP teams; Zwar N, Middleton S, Reddel H, vanSchayck C, Crockett A, Dennis S; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
Selected publications & creative works