News and Updates
- April 2013 – The New Zealand Ministry Of Health to adopt the Breast Screen Reader Assessment Strategy (Breast). The BREAST team received news that the New Zealand Ministry of Health has approved the implementation of the Breast Screen Reader Assessment Strategy as their national training, assessment and research tool to improve the early detection of breast cancer. Read more about this here
- April 2013 We welcome Research Assistant, Yun, to the BREAST team, and congratulate her on being awarded the highly competitive Schlumberger Scholarship for Women worth $50k per year! Yun's scholarship will enable to pursue her PhD in the Faculty of Health Sciences next year.
- On the 23rd of April, Prof Patrick Brennan presented a talk at the 2013 Breast Conference in Sydney which covered the BREAST initiative. It was well-attended and well-received. The meeting was a great opportunity to once again showcase the capabilities and achievements of BREAST, as well us open avenues for discussion with international researchers.
- March 2013 The Hobart images have been installed in BreastScreen Queensland, thus completing the national roll-out initiated in 2011. Every Australian state and territory now has access to BREAST. Registration of radiologists in Queensland will follow shortly.
- February 2013 Professor Patrick Brennan presented BREAST: A novel method to improve the diagnostic efficacy of mammography (Brennan PC, Tapia K, Ryan J, Lee W) at the 2013 SPIE Medical Imaging conference in Florida, USA
- January 2013 This year in June, BREAST will run 4-day workshops at the 9th General Breast Imaging Meeting (BIG RANZCR), in Darwin. Workshop slots are filling up fast so please book early by clicking on this link to the BREAST Workshop website.
- December 2012 BreastScreen Tasmania, South Australia and ACT are preparing to launch the Sydney test set at their workstations in the new year. If you are a reader in these programs and have not registered for access to BREAST yet, please contact the .
- November 2012 The Sydney test set is now available at NSW Services! As with the Hobart test set, the Sydney is a collection of 60 cases from the NSW Digital Image Library. You can use your BREAST login to access the set at designated workstations in NSW. Have a chat with the designated radiologist or BREAST Buddy for your Service to find out how.
- October 2012 BREAST is now available in BreastScreen Victoria at workstations in each of the 8 Services across the state.
- September 2012 The BREAST team released Quarter 2 performance reports to relevant Programs/Services. 127 radiologists from NSW, ACT, SA, TAS, VIC, WA and QLD have completed the "Hobart" test set to date.
- September 2012 The 3-day BREAST workshops at the AOCR/RANZCR 2012 meeting in Sydney was a success! 57 radiologists from all over the world participated in the study that launched the "Sydney" test set, and key findings were presented by Prof Patrick Brennan at the meeting. We are grateful to Ziltron, Sectra, and Hologic for their support during the workshops. The Sydney set will be rolled out to all Australian states and territories in the coming months. Watch this space.
- August 2012 The Sydney test set will be launched at the end of this month at workshops at the AOCR / RANZCR 2012 conference at Darling Harbour. The BREAST sessions are currently at capacity, however there may be an opportunity onsite to attend if a registered attendee drops out last minute. Please forward your contact details (particularly your mobile number) to the AOCR 2012 Congress Managers; firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be included on the waiting list.
- July 2012 BREAST successfully acquired the National Breast Cancer Foundation Infrastructure Grant 2012. The funding received will enable BREAST to continue implementing and further develop the strategy in Australia and beyond.
- June 2012 BREAST has been granted Qualified Privilege by the Australian Government under Part VC of the Health Insurance Act 1973 . This provides important safeguards for all radiologists participating in the BREAST test sets and the data generated from these activities. On top of BREAST’s strict reader confidentiality policy, Qualified Privilege offers additional measure of confidentiality for BREAST participants.
- May 2012 The next test set named the "Sydney" set will be launched at AOCR 2012 where the BREAST team will be holding free workshops on the 31st August, 1st September and 2nd September. Information on how to register for the workshops will follow shortly.
- April 2012 The BREAST team released the first of the quarterly performance reports to relevant Programs/Services with 71 total readers from NSW, ACT, SA and TAS who have completed the "Hobart" test set to date.
- March 2012 BREAST is now available in BreastScreen South Australia at 3 workstations in Wayville.
- January 2012 BREAST is now available in BreastScreen Tasmania at 3 workstations in Hobart and 1 in Launceston.
Have you got BREAST news or updates you'd like to share?
If so, please email the with your news item.