Domestic students

Domestic (i.e. Australian citizens, permanent residents and New Zealand citizens) higher degree by research students are provided with HECS exemptions by the Commonwealth Government to undertake their degree under the Research Training Scheme (RTS). RTS covers only the tuition fees (not other fees) for a maximum of four years' full-time equivalent study for students undertaking a doctorate and two years' full-time equivalent study for student undertaking a research masters.

Postgraduate Research Support Scheme (PRSS)

The HDR Administration Centre will be contacting students directly once the 2016 PRSS funding scheme is open.

Faculty Funding Scheme

From 1 Feb 2017 the Faculty Funding Scheme (FFS) will be open. Applications close 30 November 2017.

Applications and inquiries should be directed to Amy Genner, HDR Support Manager (email or phone 9351 9395).

The scheme provides financial support towards direct research costs and thesis production costs related to a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) student’s study. These costs need to be essential to undertake your research and are above and beyond those normally provided by the University/Faculty. Direct research costs are normally paid for by either a student’s supervisor or by the student directly as the scheme is administered as reimbursement. Publication in Open Access Journals is not generally supported unless a very strong case is made.

FFS eligibility and application
FFS eligibility criteria is included on the Application for Faculty Funding.

Research related travel

Research students may apply for travel support to attend national or international scientific conferences, if they are presenting an oral communication or poster presentation, through the Postgraduate Research Support Scheme (PRSS). The Faculty Funding of Direct Research Costs scheme may also be used to support research-related travel.

University grants-in-aid are available to provide students (who are citizens or permanent residents of Australia) with travel grants to support short-term periods of research overseas. Individual grants vary in value and purpose with most approximately $1,800. More information can be found at the Scholarships Office website. Applications for grants-in-aid are usually due in April.

From time-to-time additional opportunities arise. Continue to monitor this page and the Scholarships office overseas travel website for information about current opportunities.