Entry requirements for Bachelor’s degrees

To be eligible to apply:
Completion of the Alberta High School Diploma, British Columbia Senior Secondary School Graduation Diploma, Manitoba High School Graduation Diploma, Newfoundland Provincial High School Graduation Certificate, New Brunswick High School Graduation Diploma, Nova Scotia High School Completion Certificate, Ontario Secondary School Diploma, Prince Edward Island High School Graduation Certificate, Quebec Diploma of Collegial Studies or Saskatchewan Complete Division IV Grade XII Standing. Grades required are as follows:



B Applied Science (Exercise & Sport Science)


B Applied Science (Exercise Physiology)


B Applied Science (MRS) Diagnostic Radiography


B Applied Science (Occupational Therapy)


B Applied science (Physiotherapy)


B Applied Science (Speech Pathology)


B Health Sciences


B Applied Science (Exercise & Sports Science)/M Nutrition & Dietetics


Ontario Secondary School Diploma (Canada). Entry requirement is the average of 6 University/College preparation courses.

Please note that this information changes regularly. Please also review entry requirements as published on the following page.

Students who do not meet these minimum entry requirements may like to apply for the University of Sydney Foundation Program.

Entry requirements for Graduate Entry Master’s degrees

To be eligible to apply you will need:

  • A PhD, master's or bachelor's degree from an Australian institution or equivalent
  • A Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.5 or greater (see approximate GPA equivalents below) assessed on the highest ranked tertiary qualification presented
  • The Master of Physiotherapy, Master of Speech Language Pathology and Master of Exercise Physiology have additional assumed knowledge requirements. For details please check the faculty website


Master of Physiotherapy

In 2007 The curriculum of the Master of Physiotherapy was approved by the .Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators. Anyone who received their physiotherapy education outside of Canada, including Canadian citizens educated in another country, like Australia, and want to practice in any province or territory in Canada (except Qu├ębec) must first apply to Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators for a credentialing assessment. Applicants may then be eligible to take the Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE) which is mandatory.

Master of Occupational Therapy

The World Federation of Occupational Therapy is the world accrediting body and member countries adhere to this (both Canada and Australia). The FHS MOT is very similar to Canadian programs and contains the full 1,000 hours of clinical practicum required by WFOT. However, it is important to note that registration requirements differ in each province. Students must seek information from the association in the province regarding registration to practice.

Master of Speech-Language Pathology

Clinical Practicum Hours,

The Master of Speech Language Pathology provides 180-190 clinical practicum hours. In order to meet the 350 clinical practicum hours required by Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (CASLPA) students wishing to obtain Canadian accreditation must arrange for the completion of the additional hours.

Ways that extra clinical hours can be undertaken by Canadian students

  • During the duration of the course and the faculty assists in organising extra clinical hours with an external clinical provider; and/or
  • Upon completion of the course by completing the appropriate extra clinical hours (usually 6 months) of paid Speech Pathology employment in Australia; and/or
  • Upon completion of the course the student can organise a clinical placement of 6 months in Canada and is responsible for organising the employment/ placement and necessary visas.

(Note that new Australian immigration laws allow international students undertaking any 2 year postgraduate coursework degree (which includes MSLP) to work for up to 2 years in Australia) visit the Department of Immigration for up to date information about the new immigration laws.

Audiology units for Canadian Students in the MSLP and Additional Audiology Units to meet CASLPA requirements

As part of the MSLP, students will undertake studies in audiology and hearing rehabilitation.

Year 1

Students complete lectures on hearing testing and complete a number of hearing screenings in Articulation and Phonology. Audiology lectures are given by audiologists.

Year 2

Special Studies 3 unit (directly related to hearing impairment), the following learning activities will be completed by students so that by the end of the unit students will be able to;

  • Analyse and explain audiological reports for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal children for professional practice.
  • Contrast different hearing device options.
  • Compare different services and communications choices available for children with hearing impairment.
  • Hypothesise possible communication impairment as a result of different types and degrees of hearing impairment.
  • Hypothesise possible communication impairment as a result of different types and degrees of hearing impairment for Aboriginal children.
  • Compare and select using EBP principles appropriate objective and perceptual tools and protocols to fully evaluate communication ability in Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal children with hearing impairment for professional practice.
  • Compare and select using EBP principles appropriate management plans to improve communication ability in Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal children with hearing impairment for professional practice.

Additional Audiology Units to meet CASLPA requirements

Students will also be required to undertake two additional audiology units to meet CASLPA accreditation requirements. These audiology units are taken from the University of Sydney Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology). These units are normally undertaken during their degree.

Master of Rehabilitation Counselling

Graduates of the Master of Rehabilitation Counselling have worked in many countries including Canada. The Vocational Rehabilitation Association Canada can be used as a guide to career prospects in Canada.