Cerebral Palsy Alliance Scholarships
|Applications Open||Applications Close|
|Monday 3 August 2015||Friday 18 September 2015|
Cerebral Palsy Alliance and The University of Sydney through the Faculty of Health Sciences have established a memorandum of understanding to acknowledge the shared vision of our organisations for a viable, well- supported infrastructure of services for people with a disability in New South Wales and collaborative research endeavours. As part of this agreement Cerebral Palsy Alliance has established scholarships for allied health students within the Faculty of Health Sciences.
The scholarships will support up to three students to the amount of $1500 per student to pursue their studies and to encourage their future career in the field of disability.
These are the Professor Henry J Cowan Memorial Scholarships, honouring the memory and generous bequest of Professor Cowan who was a distinguished member of the University of Sydney academic staff in the Faculty of Architecture.
Description of the Award
A maximum of $1500 will be awarded for each student. A total of $4500 will be available for one successful applicant from each of the disciplines of Speech Pathology, Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy.
Funds are to be used to support professional development, fees, textbooks or practicum expenses.
It is an expectation of the Award that the student will consent to one of their final practicums being provided at Cerebral Palsy Alliance, and that the successful applicant will participate in the evaluation of the scholarship and in any longitudinal study of recruitment or career marketing of allied health professionals to Cerebral Palsy Alliance.
The successful applicants will be requested to provide their contact details and general employment details on graduation, and for up to two years post graduation. In addition it is an expectation of the Award that within one month of placement completion, the successful students will upon request, provide a 500 word report and feedback of their placement experience at Cerebral Palsy Alliance.
- Students of The University of Sydney Faculty of Health Sciences enrolled full time in the courses of Occupational Therapy, Speech Pathology and Physiotherapy, and
- who are Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens or Australian permanent residents, and
- who are available to undertake one of their final fieldwork placements with the Cerebral Palsy Alliance (the scholarship will be awarded to undergraduate students in the 3rd year of their course for use in the 4th year of their studies or GEM students in the 1st year of their course for use in the 2nd year of their studies), and
- with a demonstrated interest in the field of disability and paediatrics. A particular interest in cerebral palsy would also be desirable, and
- an interest in pursuing a career in the field of disability, and
- with a strong academic and/or practical achievement in paediatric components of their studies. Students must have a satisfactory academic achievement and pass all practical units prior to their final practicums.
How to Apply
Applications should be in writing and include
- A letter of application with evidence of interest in paediatrics and disability and evidence of achievement in studies or practicum in the field of paediatrics or disability
- A copy of results from a recent clinical placement
- Statement of willingness to participate in a final placement with Cerebral Palsy Alliance including a letter from the WIL team to confirm your eligibility for the placement
Submission of applications
Applications must be submitted electronically as one pdf file to . The final application should not exceed six (6) pages.
The judging committee’s decision will be final. Students will be informed in writing of the outcome of their application.
If you have any queries, please contact the following Work Integrated Learning Academic staff member:
(Physiotherapy UG) and (Physiotherapy GEM)