Criminal Records Check

NSW Health Placements

All health care workers, including students who undertake clinical professional training or fieldwork in the NSW Health care systems or in other jurisdictions, are required to be subject to a national criminal records check as a condition of gaining access to these facilities. Depending on the nature of the offence for which a conviction has been recorded, NSW Health and other jurisdictions have the right not to accept a health care student or worker for placement in their sites.

All new students in the Faculty of Health Sciences will receive, as part of their enrolment package, information outlining the process for obtaining a National Criminal History Record Check. This check must be renewed every three years. Students must complete this process as soon as possible after receipt. Students will also be provided with a NSW Health Student Undertaking which will need to be completed and lodged with the Faculty according to instructions within the enrolment package. Failure to obtain an appropriate criminal record clearance could mean non-acceptance by NSW Health or any other jurisdiction or organisation to undertake a placement.

If formal written notification of clearance is not received within six weeks of submitting the form for the national criminal records check, students are strongly advised to follow this up. Non-acceptance of a student by NSW Health or any other jurisdiction for placement may affect that student's academic progress. Accordingly, students are urged to contact Student Central or your Clinical Educator Coordinator for any concerns or enquiries about this policy.

Students with Criminal Convictions - on receiving a National Criminal Records Check, showing any offences or pending charges, the student is required to apply to NSW Health for authority to undertake placements, by following the instructions on Instructions to Students in order to apply for a student risk assessment. If the resultant risk assessment deems the student is suitable for placement within NSW Health facilities, then the student will be issued with a Clinical Placement Authority Card, or a conditional letter for placement. If the student receives a conditional letter for placement, the student must disclose those conditions to the Manager Work Integrated Learning before any placement can be determined.

If the student is deemed to be an “unacceptable risk” by NSW Health, or the student has not provided the required documentation, then the student may be declined authority to undertake placements. In such instances, the student is required to contact the Manager Work Integrated Learning for a discussion about future options.

Students that have an existing NSW Health Clearance Card (also known as Clinical Placement Authority Card), obtained prior to June 2010 under the previous NSW Health policy, do not need to obtain a new National Criminal Records Check for a NSW Health placement. The existing NSW Health Clearance Card will suffice. However, if this Clearance Card has been lost, the student will be required to apply for a new National Criminal Records Check as if they were a new student.

Please visit FHS forms for additional information on Criminal Records Checks including additional requirements for overseas students, what happens if a student has a criminal history or doesn’t have the required police certificate, validity periods, and a summary of documents to take on placement.

Fees are applicable when applying for the Criminal Records Check and further information can be found at: NSW Police Force Criminal Records Section.

Information about the NSW Health policy on Criminal Records Checks can be found at the NSW Department of Health website.

Aged Care Placements

Students who undertake a placement at an aged care service subsidised by the Australian Government, must obtain a National Criminal Records Check. Students that have an existing NSW Health Clearance Card (also known as Clinical Placement Authority Card) will still be required to obtain this National Criminal Records Check. New students who have obtained their Criminal Records Check through a state, territory or federal police service via the new NSW Health requirements after 1 June 2010 will be able to use this for placements in the aged care services, but it must still be renewed every three years.

Information about the aged care policy can be found at: Police Checks for Aged Care Workers and Volunteers.

Fees are applicable and further information can be found at: Australian Federal Police website: Application completion guide.

Additional Information for Overseas Students

All overseas students are required to obtain a National Police Certificate in Australia.

In addition to the National Police Certificate, overseas students are also required to obtain a Police Certificate (with English translation) from their home country and any country that they have resided in, incorporating any charges the students may have against their name.

If unable to provide a Police Certificate from their home country or any country that they have resided in, students must complete a Statutory Declaration stating that they have no pending criminal charges or convictions from their home country or any country that they have resided in. If the student does have such records, any offences, the type of offence and the court outcome must be listed. This Statutory Declaration form can either be obtained from the student’s educational institution or is available on the NSW Health website.

The University is not involved in any Criminal Records Checks processes and it will not be given any information about students on whom an adverse criminal record report is made.

The University, in consultation with the Students Representative Council (SRC), has established protocols to enable students affected by the policy to receive appropriate advice and support and, if necessary, to enable them to transfer their enrolment to another course. These protocols were implemented in 1998.

ACT Health

ACT Health will accept a current National Criminal Record Check or a NSW Health Clearance Card that was issued after 1 July 2008.

Qld Health

Qld Health requires all students to obtain a Blue Card prior to attending the placement. Refer to information on Working with Children.