Dr. John Atyeo
|Qualifications: PhD, MHlthScEd, BSc, BA, AssocDipRadTech.
As a radiation therapy lecturer, my research and teaching work aims to improve the care and treatment of people with cancer.
Up to half of patients diagnosed with cancer will have radiation treatment, with the aim of either curing their disease or relieving their symptoms.
Radiation therapists plan and treat patients with radiation, requiring skills in the use of highly complex and technical equipment as well as excellent patient care skills. At the University, I assist students to become radiation therapists, using case based teaching and learning methods. Such methods have allowed me to encourage student enquiry and promote life long learning in an allied health profession that is constantly changing.
As well as being a lecturer, my research interests include patient care in oncology from both the patient and radiation therapist's perspective, and the use of medical imaging in radiation therapy planning. My supervision of research higher degree students reflects these interests.
Teaching and Service ResponsibilitiesUnit of Study Coordinator for the following units:
- MRTY2086 - Radiation Therapy Practice 2.1
- MRTY2098 - Radiation Therapy Practice 2.2
- MRSC5001 - Professional Practice Radiography 1
- MRSC5009 - Professional Practice Nuclear Medicine 1
- MRSC5011 - Professional Practice Radiation Therapy 1
- MRSC5005 - Professional Practice Radiography 2
- MRSC5010 - Professional Practice Nuclear Medicine 2
- MRSC5012 - Professional Practice Radiation Therapy 2
- MRSC5044 - Advanced MRS Practice
- MRTY5056 - Patient/Practitioner Communication
- Brown, A.M., Atyeo, J., Field, N., Cox, J., Bull, C. & Gebski, V.J. (2009). Evaluation of patient preferences towards treatment during extended hours for patients receiving radiation therapy for the treatment of cancer: A time trade-off study. Radiotherapy and Oncology, 90(2), 247-252.
- Shi, J.Q., Cox, J., Atyeo, J., Loh, V., Wong, L.C. & Back, M. (2008). Clinician and therapist perceptions on radiation therapist-led treatment reviews in radiation oncology practice. Radiotherapy and Oncology, 89(3), 361-367.
- Dundas, K.L., Atyeo, J. & Cox, J. (2007). What is a large breast? Measuring and categorising breast size for tangential breast radiation therapy. Australasian Radiology, 51(6), 589-593.
- Atyeo, J., Adamson, B. & Cant, R. (2001). Managerial skills for new practitioners in Medical Radiation Sciences in Australia: Implications for the tertiary education sector. Radiography, 7(4), 235-247.
- Adamson, B.J., Cant, R.V. & Atyeo, J.A. (2001). Implications for tertiary education: managerial competencies required of beginning practitioners in the health service sector. Medical Teacher, 23(2), 209-215.