Childproofing is a term used to describe the process of making various, everyday items safe for children to play with.
Childproofing is a vital part of the Sydney Playground Project. Childproofing the items means that there are no hidden dangers to children and gives them freedom to learn how to problem solve.
- Items have no obvious play value
- Items encourage co-operation and gross motor development
- Items have multi-usages
- Items can be used in challenging, creative and uncertain ways
- Items promote interesting sensory experiences
- Hazards are easily seen and/or managed by a child
- Use 'green' re-use items