Sydney Teachers College (1906-1981)
The Sydney Teachers College emblem was originally designed by J C Wright, a lecturer in Art at the College, in 1914. The motto lumen siccum was adopted on the suggestion of Dr L H Allen, lecturer in classics at the College at this time.
The design of the emblem underwent several modifications over the years; the form most commonly used was the 1975 stylised design.
Literally meaning ‘dry light’, the motto was translated by Dr Allen into the phrase, ‘let there be light’. The words lumen siccum come from the writings of the Ancient Greek philosopher Heraclitus, and are referred to by Francis Bacon in the following quotation from an essay:
"Heraclitus saith well in one of his enigmas, 'Dry Light is ever the best;’ and certain it is that the light that a man receiveth by counsel from another is drier and purer than that which cometh from his own understanding and judgement; which is ever infused and drenched in his affections and customs."
Sydney Teachers College became the Sydney Institute of Education, a part of Sydney College of Advanced Education, at the end of 1981.