You can use Inbox rules to automatically redirect or forward messages sent to your mailbox to another account. We recommend you use a redirect rather than a forward, for instructions on how to redirect your email to another account, visit the Microsoft website.
I received the error message “too many hops” when trying to redirect email from my Sydney Mail account to another mailbox. What do I do?
If you are experiencing problems with redirecting your email to another mailbox and receive the delivery error “too many hops”, we suggest you try the following:
- Instead of redirecting your email to another account, try a forward. Instructions on how to forward your email to another account are available on the Microsoft website. Note: forwarded messages will appear to be forwarded from your Sydney Mail account, see below for more details.
- Access your email via your Sydney Mail account.
Note: Redirecting and forwarding emails are not the same.
- Redirected messages will appear to come from the original sender. When you reply to a message that has been redirected, the reply will be sent to the original sender.
- Forwarded messages will appear to be forwarded from your Sydney Mail email account. When you reply to a message that has been forwarded from your Sydney Mail account, the reply will be sent to your Sydney Mail address unless you change the reply-to address so it goes to the original sender.
- A copy of messages that you redirect or forward will remain in your Inbox.
If you require further assistance, please contact the ICT Helpdesk on 9351 6000 or the ICT staff located in the ICT Access Labs.