International Forum 15 March 2007 Australia and Latin America in the Asia-Pacific Region
The University of Sydney’s third International Forum on March 15th focused on the vital international interests of Australia and Latin America in the Asia-Pacific region. Ambassadors from Latin America spoke about the opportunities for continuing engagement in international trade, research, mining & agriculture, as well as the continuing increase in the number of students coming to Australia for higher education at this unique gathering.
The Chairman of COALAR, Mr Bernard Wheelahan spoke about business opportunities in Latin America. Mr Les Luck, First Assistant Secretary, Americas Division, Department of Foreign Affairs and led the debate for Australia. An audience that included leaders from Australia and Latin America in business, government, diplomacy and academia made this a lively discussion on which further opportunities might be developed.
- Mr Les Luck First Assistant Secretary, Americas Division, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade;
- His Excellency Mr Pedro Villagra Delgado, Ambassador for the Argentine Republic;
- His Excellency Mr Fernando de Mello Barreto, Ambassador for the Federative Republic of Brazil;
- Her Excellency Mrs Martha Ortiz De Rosas, Ambassador for Mexico;
- His Excellency Mr Claudio de la Puente, Ambassador for Peru;
- His Excellency Mr Jose Luis Balmaceda, Ambassador for the Republic of Chile; and
- Mr Bernard Wheelahan - Board Chairman, Council on Australia Latin America Relations (COALAR).
The Forum was held in the Great Hall, Quadrangle building, Camperdown campus, University of Sydney.