BO Children's Hospital Project, Sierra Leone
Sydney University International House Alumni Association (SUIHAA) takes great pride in supporting the Bo Children’s Hospital Project.
Decades of political instability, corruption and civil war (1990-2000) has left Sierra Leone in a destitute state. This small but densely populated country offers very little or absolutely no health care to its rural communities.
Dr Nuli Lemoh, a former International House resident from Sierra Leone and now a respected Sydney Pediatrician, has carried a life long dream to build a Children’s Hospital in his poverty stricken and war torn homeland.
By providing professional health care, diagnostic facilities, medication and education on nutrition and disease prevention we hope to vastly improve the devastating health and mortality statistics in the Bo region.
The Harsh Facts
- Population: 5.9 million
- Life Expectancy: 34 years
- 1 in 6 infants die at birth
- 1 in 6 women die during childbirth
- Infant Mortality (under 5): 282 per 1000 children
- 93% of GNP goes to repayment of international debt
- Bo is the largest rural city and is centrally located
- 3 acres of land have been purchased: 15 minutes drive to Bo town centre
- Stage One: Outpatient’s Clinic with 20 beds initially to be increased to 60, diagnostic facilities and operating theatre
Health education and research unit that will train nurses and paramedics, educate children and parents on nutrition and disease prevention, and research local health issues
- Estimated initial cost: AUD$300,000
As a result of your generous donations, SUIHAA has reached it's target of $100,000, with the help of IHMA, for the building of the Outpatient Clinic (Stage 1) of the hospital! However, SUIHAA will continue to support the Bo Children's Hospital Project and encourages you to support this wonderful cause in whatever way you can.
Click here to watch the video about the BO Children's Hospital Project.
Click here to download the recent Report of BO Children's Hospital Project.
Contact the Bo Project
You can find more information about the Bo Project online:
You can also contact us directly if you have any questions:
SUIHAA Bo Project Convener
telephone: 0403 972 260