International House Application Process
Applications for Full Year and Semester 1 (exchange and study abroad only)
First round of interviews: Mid-September
Offers made: Early October
Second round of interviews: Late-October
Offers made: Early-November
Final round of interviews: Early-December
Final offers made: Mid-December
Late Interviews and offers: Late-January onwards (depending on availability)
Applications for Semester 2 2013 - Now Open
First round of Interviews: Mid-April
First round of Offers: Mid-May
Second round of Interviews: Late-May
Second round of offers: Mid-June
Late interviews and offers: June onwards (depending on availability)
- To apply the applicant must be enrolled or waiting for acceptance to the University of Sydney;
- A completed application must be submitted to the House by filling the online application and paying the AU$100 application fee by credit card. This is non-refundable.
- Once received, your application will be acknowledged by a confirmation email. Your application will be assessed and suitable applicants will receive a request for an interview with the Director during the Interview rounds. The interview can be conducted over the phone;
- Applicants who are successful will then be sent an offer. This will include information regarding the Residential Agreement and Acceptance Fees;
- The applicant will then need to accept the offer by returning the signed Residential Agreement and Acceptance Fees to the House by the deadline. This is a legally binding document setting out the conditions and obligations attached to residence.
Note: It is a requirement for all new residents to attend O-Week in full from the commencement date.
For Semester 1 2013, this will be 23 February.
For Semester 2 2013, this will be 20 July.
International House is a multi-cultural community of scholars, we expect our residents to be responsible, mature and self-motivated students who will support and contribute to the House’s aims and objectives. International House has a mandate to maintain a diverse community, with at least 25% of Australian students.
Key components of our selection criteria are:
- Diversity of international, interstate, regional and metropolitan representation within the House
- Representation across University disciplines within the House
- Leadership potential
- Organisational ability
- Ability to live within a diverse and active community
- Willingness to contribute
- Participation in extra-curricular activities
- Sound academic standing.
If you are from a more popular demographic to the University of Sydney, you will have a better chance of being offered a place at International House the earlier you apply. Ultimately your success will be determined by your willingness to contribute to our diverse community and helping to foster international understanding and friendship.