International House Application Process
Applications for 2015
International House is home to a multicultural community of scholars. We aim to foster a culture of international understanding and friendship by inviting students from as many different countries as possible to join us as residents. In order to maintain diversity and introduce as many new cultures, customs and personalities as possible to International House, we maintain nationality quotas for residential places. Currently, we have filled our quotas of students from:
- The United States of America
If you are from one of these countries, your application will be automatically placed on a waiting list. Please note that the application fee will still apply. For other on and off campus accommodation options, please visit the University’s accommodation webpage.
We are currently accepting applications from all other countries.
If you have any questions regarding the application process or life at International House, please contact International House Office on Tel: +61 2 8627 0656.
First round of Interviews: Mid-Late September
First round of Offers: Early October
Second round of Interviews: Late-October
Second round of Offers: Early-November
Final round of Interviews: Early-December
Final round of Offers: Mid-December
Late interviews and offers: January onwards (depending on availability)
- To apply the applicant must be enrolled or waiting for acceptance to the University of Sydney;
- A completed application must be submitted to the House by filling the online application and paying the AU$100 application fee by credit card. This is non-refundable.
- Once received, your application will be acknowledged by a confirmation email. Your application will be assessed and suitable applicants will receive a request for an interview with the Director during the Interview rounds. The interview can be conducted in person, over the phone or through skype;
- Applicants who are successful will then be sent an offer. This will include information regarding the Residential Agreement and Acceptance Fees;
- The applicant will then need to accept the offer by returning the signed Residential Agreement and Acceptance Fees to the House by the deadline. This is a legally binding document setting out the conditions and obligations attached to residence.
Note: It is a requirement for all new residents to arrive and take up residence in the House for Semester 1 2015 by the 21 February 2015. They must attend a series of compulsory Orientation Events.
International House is a multi-cultural community of scholars, we expect our residents to be responsible, mature and self-motivated students who will support and contribute to the House’s aims and objectives. International House has a mandate to maintain a diverse community, with at least 25% of Australian students.
Key components of our selection criteria are:
- Diversity of international, interstate, regional and metropolitan representation within the House
- Representation across University disciplines within the House
- Leadership potential
- Organisational ability
- Ability to live within a diverse and active community
- Willingness to contribute
- Participation in extra-curricular activities
- Sound academic standing.
If you are from a more popular demographic to the University of Sydney, you will have a better chance of being offered a place at International House the earlier you apply. Ultimately your success will be determined by your willingness to contribute to our diverse community and helping to foster international understanding and friendship.