For Students

When you study here, you become part of a community where people are valued for their diversity – where new ideas and unique perspectives are always welcome. The University is currently home to 51,394 students and we welcome more than 10,000 international students from 152 countries all over the world, making this a truly international environment. At the University of Sydney you enjoy access to the latest thinking and are encouraged to express yourself. Our teachers and your fellow students will inspire you to achieve your personal and professional goals. For all the information that you will need to study with us, please visit the Study at Sydney pages (This link will take you away from the International Student Office site).

2016 International Guide

Have all the facts at your fingertips, download the International guide. Packed with helpful advice and information about courses, entry requirements, fees, admissions, Study Abroad, exchange programs, English courses and much more.


There are a number of scholarships available at the University of Sydney, including many which are specifically designed for international students. Some scholarships are faculty-based and others are available across all faculties.

We also encourage you to look for funding from sources outside the University of Sydney. For example, you may be able to apply for scholarships from companies, governmental groups, religious missions, or universities in your home country.

Visit our Scholarships Office website to learn more about these and the many other scholarships we offer.

Am I an International Student?

You are considered to be an international student if you are NOT:

  • an Australian citizen, or
  • a New Zealand citizen, or
  • a dual citizen of any country with Australia or New Zealand, or
  • a permanent resident of Australia.

If you meet any of these criteria you are considered to be a domestic student.

You are an international student if you hold a permit for temporary entry to Australia. For example, if your status is: overseas student, permanent resident of New Zealand, diplomat, temporary resident holding a work permit, refugee, a dependent of any of the above, etc.

The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000

The ESOS Act sets out the legal framework governing delivery of education to overseas students studying in Australia on a student visa. For more information visit the ESOS Act webpage.

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is a placement and refund service for international students. The TPS replaces the Tuition Assurance Scheme and the ESOS Assurance Fund. On the rare occasions that a provider is unable to deliver a course an international student has paid for and does not meet their legal obligations to make alternative course replacements or provide a refund, the TPS will assist students to find an alternative place or, if this is not possible, provide a refund of any unspent tuition fees. Please refer to the TPS Brochure (on the right) for further information.

MyUni student portal

MyUni is your online centre for University information and services, including email, news, course information and help. This service is available to all enrolled students.