The research programs and teaching in IPOS are underpinned by world-class facilities. Some of these are solely “in-house”, whilst the OptoFab Facilities are available to external users through the NCRIS program coordinated by ANFF.
Major facilities include:
- A state-of-the-art fibre polymer fibre draw tower purpose built for fabrication of novel microstructured Polymer Optical Fibre.
- Precision fibre tapering facilities to create a range of structures, including nanowires, in many different fibre materials.
- World-best fibre characterisation equipment based on EXFO NR8200HR (which also enables us to provide specialty silica fibres from our inventory).
- CUDOS 160 Gb/s BERT facility enables the transmission, detection and quality evaluation of optical signals at 160 Gb/s.
- CUDOS Ultrafast Photonics Lab including a 100 fs pulse tunable Ti:Saphhire laser.
- CUDOS and iPL fibre Bragg grating writing facilities.
In addition to these pieces of major equipment, IPOS has modern laboratories, including clean-rooms, with extensive state of the art equipment for a wide range of optics and photonics experimental research.