Postgraduate scholarships

Postgraduate study (MSc and PhD) in the Key Centre can be financed through:

For more information, contact the Key Centre Director, Professor Sébastien Perrier.

Tuition fees: These scholarships have no fees for Australian citizens, permanent residents and New Zealand citizens.

All others need to procure tuition fees of AU$19,000 per year (AU$1.0 is about US$0.94 [May 2008], approximate conversion). The University of Sydney's International Office is able to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information for prospective international students.

Postgraduate research may be undertaken in any of the Centre's areas of interest.

Further details about applying to study at KCPC

Applications for candidature

Australian citizens and residents must complete an application for candidature and lodge it with the Faculty of Science, who will assess your academic qualifications and eligibility for a postgraduate degree.

Application forms are available from the Faculty of Science. Visit the Faculty's website or phone: +61 2 9351 3021 or fax: +61 2 9351 4846.

Applications are accepted at any time. However, submission of a completed application prior to mid-December is strongly recommended.

International students must complete an application for enrolment as a postgraduate student via the University of Sydney's International Office. Phone: +61 2 9351 4079, +61 2 9351 4161; Fax: +61 2 9351 4013; E-mail: . The International Student office will advise you on eligibility requirements and assess your academic qualifications, and advise you as to whether you have the appropriate qualifications for a postgraduate degree in the Key Centre at the University of Sydney. You will need to submit an application to this office at least 6 months prior to your anticipated start date.

Financial support

The following scholarships are available only to Australian residents and citizens, and offer a stipend of approximately AU$20,000 to cover general living expenses. New Zealand residents are also eligible under certain circumstances.

Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA)

Applications close towards the end of October each year.

Australian Postgraduate Awards - Industry (APA-I)

Applications close towards the end of February and October each year

These awards are for candidates who wish to undertake full-time postgraduate research studies at this University. To be eligible, applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of Australia who hold, or expect to hold, a first class honours degree or equivalent by the end of the year of application. New Zealand residents are also eligible under certain circumstances.

Further information and application form can be obtained from the Scholarships office in October: Telephone: +61 2 9351 3250 or +61 2 9351 4464; Fax: +61 2 9351 3256; Email:

Gritton Postgraduate Scholarships

These scholarships are open to (a) graduates of universities which are members of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, or (b) graduates of any university who are either citizens of a Commonwealth country or who are permanent residents of Australia.

The Scholarships (Henry Bertie and Florence Mabel Gritton Scholarships) are funded by a bequest to the University to fund research in science and/or engineering with particular emphasis on applications of chemistry in relation to industry and agriculture.

Application forms and further information are available from the Scholarships Office.

For further information, contact the Scholarships office: Telephone: +61 2 9351 3250 or +61 2 9351 4464; Fax: +61 2 9351 3256; Email:

The Key Centre also offers a number of ARC and industry-funded scholarships to work on specific research projects.

Important notice

The information provided here is correct to the best of the knowledge of the KCPC. However, since the rules and regulations governing the enrolment of both local and international students keep changing at the Faculty, University and Governmental levels, this information is presented as a guide only and is not definitive. Prospective students are advised to contact the Scholarships Office, Science Faculty Office and International Office (if appropriate) for the latest information.