LAWS6257 - Public Policy
- Gain an understanding of the role of government policy within the analytical framework of welfare economics.
- Examine the conditions that justify government intervention; determine whether policies can be designed to support basic principles of social justice and what kinds of reforms promote economic efficiency.
- Acquire an overview of the main empirical methodologies used in evaluating policy reforms.
The structure of the Australian tax-benefit system; uncertainty and social insurance; unemployment, health and retirement income insurance; externalities, environmental taxes and tradeable permits; monopoly and environmental regulation; utility pricing and access problems; cost benefit analysis, intergenerational equity and growth.
Semester 2 Intensive
23-24 September & 10-11 October 2013
This unit of study is compulsory for Master of Administrative Law and Policy (MALP) candidates.
The timetable is subject to frequent changes. Please refer to the latest version of the Postgraduate Timetable.
- 1 x 5,000 Word Essay (90%)
- 1 x Problem Based Assignment and Class Presentation of a Case Study (10%)
LAWS6139 Public Sector Policy 1, LAWS6042 Environmental Economics or LAWS6113 Taxation and Social Policy.
You can credit this unit towards Legal Professional Development (LPD). Units of study that are part of Sydney Law School’s Postgraduate Program meet the necessary Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) of the Law Society of New South Wales and the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements of the New South Wales Bar Association. You may complete this unit of study by enrolling on a non-degree basis or on an audit basis only with no assessment via Single Unit Enrolment.
Master of Laws | Graduate Diploma in Law | Master of Global Law | Master of Law and International Development | Master of Administrative Law and Policy | Master of Business Law | Master of Environmental Law | Graduate Diploma in Environmental Law | Master of Environmental Science and Law | Master of International Taxation | Master of Taxation | Graduate Diploma in Taxation