Dr Belinda Smith
BEc (Soc. Sci) (Hons) LLB (Hons) Sydney JSD Col
- Anti-discrimination law (UG)
- Discrimination in the Workplace (PG)
- Foundations of Law
Areas of Interest
- Work and Family
- Labour Law
- Disability law
Brief Biographical Information
Dr Belinda Smith researches primarily in the area of anti-discrimination law, gender equity, and work-family conflict. After working at the Australian Industrial Relations Commission and the Industrial Law Group of Blake Dawson Waldron, Belinda took up a teaching fellowship in the Law School at Columbia University in New York where she began her academic career and undertook a JSD.
- ‘Anti-discrimination Law’ invited chapter in C Sappideen, P O’Grady, J Riley, G Warburton, Macken’s Law of Employment (7th edition), Lawbook Co.: Sydney (2011) 583-612
- ‘Rethinking the Sex Discrimination Act – Does Canada’s experience suggest we should give our judges a greater role?’ in M Thornton (ed), Sex Discrimination in Uncertain Times, ANU E Press: Canberra (2010) 235-259
- ‘Australian Anti-Discrimination Laws – Framework, Developments and Issues’ in Hiroya Nakakubo & Takashi Araki (eds), New Developments in Employment Discrimination Law, Kluwer Law International: UK (2008) 115-146.
- ‘The Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission: A new role for Equality Advocate?’ in Grant Michelson, Suzanne Jamieson, John Burgess (eds.) New Employment Actors: Developments from Australia, Peter Lang AG, (2008) 89-108.
- ‘A Regulatory Analysis of the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth): Can it effect equality or only redress harm?’ in Christopher Arup, et al (eds), Labour Law and Labour Market Regulation - Essays on the Construction, Constitution and Regulation of Labour Markets and Work Relationships, Federation Press: Sydney (2006), 105-124.
- ‘Domestic Violence Victims at Work: A Role for Anti-Discrimination Law?’ (2012) 25(3) Australian Journal of Labour Law 209-236 (with Tashina Orchiston).
- 'Whose Fault is it? Asking the right question when trying to address discrimination' (2012) 37(1) Alternative Law Journal 31-36 (with Dominique Allen).
- 'What Kind of Equality can we expect from the Fair Work Act?' (2011) 35(2) Melbourne University Law Review 545-577.
- ‘Industrial Legislation in 2010’ (2011) 53(3) Journal of Industrial Relations 288-302 (with McCrystal, S).
- 'Fair and Equal in the World of Work: Two Significant Federal Developments in Discrimination Law' (2010) 23(3) Australian Journal of Labour Law 199-219.
- ‘It’s About Time – For a New Approach to Equality’ (2008) 36(2) Federal Law Review 117-144.
- ‘From Wardley to Purvis : How far has Australian anti-discrimination law come in 30 years?’ (2008) 21 Australian Journal of Labour Law 3-29.
- ‘Work and Family – A Gender Issue and More for Labour Lawyers’ (2007) 20(1) Australian Journal of Labour Law 92-103.
- ‘Not the Baby and the Bathwater – Regulatory Reform for Equality Laws to Address Work-Family Conflict’, (2006) 28(4) Sydney Law Review 689-732.
- 'Industrial Legislation in 2004' (2005) 47(2) Journal of Industrial Relations 171-185. (with Riley, J & Sarina, T)
- 'Family-friendly Work Practices and the Law' (2004) 26 Sydney Law Review 395-426. (with Riley, J)
- 'A Time to Value: Proposal for a National Paid Maternity Leave Scheme' (2003) 16 Australian Journal of Labour Law 226-233.
- 'Maternity Leave: Still Unpaid and Still Uncertain' (2002) 15 Australian Journal of Labour Law 291-297.
- ‘Free speech and other human rights: the clause that almost sank the Human Rights Bill’ The Conversation, 1 February 2013
- ‘Empowering victims of family violence: Could anti-discrimination laws play a role?’ Australian Review of Public Affairs, March 2012 (with Tashina Orchiston).
- ‘Gender Injustice: An international comparative analysis of equality in employment’ (2006) 48(1) Journal of Industrial Relations 124-125.
- 'Time Norms in the Workplace: Their Exclusionary Effect and Potential for Change' (2002) 11 Columbia Journal of Gender & Law 271-360.
- “Australian Anti-Discrimination Laws – Framework, Developments and Issues” 9th Japan Institute of Labor Policy and Training Tokyo Comparative Labor Law Seminar, Tokyo, 19 February 2008.
- “Positive Equality Duties (UK)" A National Workshop on the Future of Australian Anti-Discrimination Law, University of Melbourne Law School, 15 November 2007.
- “Implications of the High Court decision in Purvis" Conference of the Members, Administrative Decisions Tribunal New South Wales, Equal Opportunity Division, Sydney, 2 November 2007.
- “Equal Opportunity Law in an era of Work Choices”, Women and WorkChoices Roundtable, University of Sydney, March 2007.
- “Reflections on work and family post work choices” Symposium on the Future of Labour Law, Melbourne University, 2 June 2006.
- Belinda Smith and Tashina Orchiston, "Domestic Violence Victims at Work: the Role of Anti-Discrimination Law" Working Paper 12 December 2011.
- “Models of Anti-Discrimination Laws – Does Canada offer any lessons for the reform of Australia’s laws?”, in Deirdre Howard-Wagner (ed), 'W(h)ither Human Rights?' Proceedings of the 25th Annual Conference of the Law and Society Association of Australia and New Zealand (LSAANZ) (2009).
- "New Models in Anti-Discrimination Law – developing strategies to campaign for change" (with Shirley Southgate) New South Wales Community Legal Centres State Conference, Sydney, 7-9 April 2008.
- "Anti-Discrimination Act 30 Years On – where to from here?" 30th Anniversary of the NSW Anti-Discrimination Act Forum, University of Sydney, 30 October 2007.
- “Using Equality Laws to Regulate for Work-Family Balance” Australian Labour Law Association Third Biennial Conference on the challenge of Contemporary Labour Law: New Directions and Disciplines”, 22-23 September 2006, Brisbane.
- “The Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission: A new role for Equality Advocate?” New Actors and Institutions in Australian and New Zealand Industrial Relations, School of Business, University of Sydney and Employment Studies Centre, University of Newcastle, 2-3 November 2006, Sydney.
- “Not the Baby and the Bathwater – reforming anti-discrimination laws to address work-family conflict” Regulatory Institutions Network ANU Research School of Social Sciences, Program Visitor, February 2006.
- “Would Anti-Discrimination Regulation Benefit From a Little Responsiveness?” Regulatory Institutions Network Conference, ANU Research School of Social Sciences, December 2005.
- “A Regulatory Review of the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth) in respect of family responsibilities discrimination in work” Australian Labour Law Association Second Biennial Conference on Employment Regulation for the Changing Workplace, Sydney, 24 September 2004.
- “Can anti-discrimination laws effect family-friendly conditions?” 12th Annual Labour Law Conference in Sydney, April 2004.
- Consolidation of Commonwealth Anti-Discrimination Laws Submission (Discrimination Law Experts Group), December 2011
- Report on Recommendations for a Consolidated Federal Anti-Discrimination Law in Australia (as part of Discrimination Law Experts’ Roundtable), 31 March 2011