Emeritus Professor Ben Boer
Bachelor of Laws, Melb 1972; Bachelor of Arts (Honours in Germanic Studies, Dutch and Indonesian) Melb 1974; Master of Laws, Melb 1978
Areas of Interest
- International Environmental Law
- Comparative Environmental Law
- Natural and Cultural Heritage Law
- Environmental Law in the Asia Pacific
- Indonesian Environmental Law
- International and domestic law relating to protected areas, soils and forests
Brief Biographical Detail
Ben Boer was appointed as Emeritus Professor in late 2008. Between 2006 and 2008, he was the international Co-Director of the IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature) Academy of Environmental Law and Visiting Professor based at the University of Ottawa, while continuing to teach part-time in the Master of Environmental Law at the University of Sydney. With his departure from Canada, he was appointed as an honorary Adjunct Professor at the University of Ottawa. In his current role as Emeritus Professor at the University of Sydney, Ben will continue to teach in various units of study in the Master’s program at the University of Sydney.
Formerly, he was Professor in Environmental Law, University of Sydney (1997 -2008) and the Corrs Chambers Westgarth Professor of Environmental Law, University of Sydney (1992-1996). Prior to that, at Macquarie University, he was Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor, School of Law (1979-1991) and part-time Lecturer in the Graduate School of the Environment, and Tutor and Lecturer, Department of Legal Studies, La Trobe University (1974-1979).
Together with colleagues at the Australian National University and the University of Adelaide, he was a founding director of the Australian Centre for Environmental Law. At the University of Sydney, this body is now called the Australian Centre for Climate and Environmental Law.
Ben has served as a consultant to various intergovernmental and non-governmental organisations in the following countries: China, Federated States of Micronesia, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Nepal, New Caledonia, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Trinidad and Tobago, Vietnam and Samoa, as well as conducting research for various departments of the Australian Federal Government.
Ben has published widely in the area of environmental and natural resources law and policy. A representative list of publications appears below.
- Benidickson, J, Boer, B, Benjamin, A & Morrow, K (eds), Environmental Law and Sustainability after Rio, Edward Elgar: Cheltenham (2011), 432pp.
- Boer, B & Wiffen, G, Heritage Law in Australia, OUP: Melbourne (2006), 334pp.
- Hannam, I, and Boer, B W, Drafting Legislation for Sustainable Soils: A Guide No. 52 IUCN The World Conservation Union (2004) 100pp.
- Boer, B, Heritage Conservation Law (Butterworths Planning and Environment Legislation Service, Volume C), Butterworths: Sydney (2004), C90,001 - C 90,604 - 603pp.
- Hannam, I & Boer, B W, Legal and Institutional Frameworks for Sustainable Soils, IUCN Environmental Policy and Law Paper No 45, IUCN The World Conservation Union (2002), 88pp.
- Boer, B W, Rothwell, D R & Ramsay, R, International Environmental Law in the Asia Pacific, Kluwer (1998), 364pp.
- Boer, B W (ed), and contributor of three chapters, Environmental Law in Five Pacific Countries: Consolidated Report of the Regional Environment Technical Assistance Legal Review Project, IUCN-The World Conservation Union (1996), 263pp.
- Leadbeter, P, Gunningham, N. and Boer, B.W., (eds.), Environmental Outlook No 3: Law and Policy, Federation Press (1996) 340pp.
- Boer, B W, Fowler, R & Gunningham, N (eds), Environmental Outlook No 2: Law and Policy, Federation Press (1995), 342 pp.
- Boer, B W, Fowler, R & Gunningham, N (eds), Environmental Outlook: Law and Policy, Federation Press (1994), 342 pp.
- Boer, B & Gruber, S, 'Heritage Discourses ' in B Jessup & K Rubenstein (eds), Environmental Discourses in Public and International Law, Cambridge University Press (forthcoming)
- Boer, B & Gruber, S, ‘Human Rights and Heritage Conservation Law’ in UNESCO Chair for Human Rights, Peace and Democracy (ed), Proceedings of the First International Conference on Human Rights and the Environment, UNESCO Chair for Human Rights, Peace, and Democracy, University of Shahid Beheshti: Tehran (2009) 90-124
- Boer, B & Gruber, S, “Heritage Conservation Law”, in Local Government Planning and Environment Service, Butterworths (2008) (75 pages)
- Boer, B, “Article 3: Identification and delineation of World Heritage Properties” (85–102); “Article 29: Reports” (335-345); “Article 34: The Federal Clause” (355-360) in Francioni, F (Ed), The World Heritage Convention: A Commentary, Oxford (2008)
- Stephens, T & Boer, B, “Enforcement and Compliance in the Australian Antarctic Territory: Legal and Policy Dilemmas” in L Kriwoken, J Jabour & A D Hemmings (eds), Looking South: Australia's Antarctic Agenda, Federation Press: Australia (2007) 54-70
- Boer, B W, “Heritage Conservation Law”, in Local Government Planning and Environment Service, Butterworths, (2005) 105 pp
- Boer, B W, “Biodiversity Planning Law: International and National”, in J Carew-Reid (ed) Biodiversity Planning in the Asian Region, IUCN: Sri Lanka (2002) 531-537
- Boer, B W, “An Integrated Approach to Pollution Regulation” in A H Benjamin & J C Sicoli (eds), The Future of Pollution Regulation¸ Lawyers for a Green Planet Institute: Sao Paulo, Brazil (2001), 11-20.
- Boer, B W, “Land Degradation and International Environmental Law”, in E Bridges, I Hannam, L Oldeman, F Penning de Vries, S Scherr & S Sombatpanit (eds) Response to Land Degradation, Oxford & IBH Co Pvt Ltd: New Delhi (2001) 429-440
- Boer, B W, "International Aspects of ESD" in C Hamilton & D Throsby (eds), The ESD Process: Evaluating a Policy Experiment, Academy of Social Sciences in Australia and Graduate Program in Public Policy: Australian National University (1998), 83-99.
- Boer, B W, "The Legal Framework of Heritage Conservation" in S Sullivan (ed), Cultural Conservation, Australian Heritage Commission Special Publications Series, AGPS (1996), 15-37.
- Boer, B W, "The Implementation of Sustainable Development", International Conference for a Sustainable Society, Kobe, Japan (1995), 6pp (also in Japanese).
- Boer, B W, "Implementation of International Imperatives at a National Level" in K Ginther, E Denters & PJIM De Waart (eds), Sustainable Development and Good Governance, Martinus Nijhoff (1995), 18pp.
- Boer, B W, "Environmental Law and the South Pacific: Law of the Sea issues" in J Crawford, James & D R Rothwell (eds), The Law of the Sea on the Asia Pacific Region, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers (1995), 67-92.
- Boer, B W, "Environmental Law in the Pacific Region" in B W Boer, R Fowler & N Gunningham (eds), Environmental Outlook: Law and Policy, Federation Press (1994), 65-84.
- Boer, B W & Martyn, A, contributions on "Political and institutional setting" for six case studies in Indonesia, Thailand, Nepal, The Philippines, Hawaii and Australia, in D James (ed), The Application of Economic Techniques in Environmental Impact Assessment, Kluwer (1994), 154-159, 112-113A, 191-194, 221-225, 222-253, 279-283.
- Boer, B W & Brown, A J, "Cultural Heritage" in Volume 1, Aborigines, in Laws of Australia, Law Book Company (1994), 43pp.
- Boer, B W, "Overview of environmental law and policy at global and regional levels" in B W Boer (ed), Strengthening Environmental Legislation in the Pacific Region, South Pacific Regional Environment Programme (1993), 10-17.
- Boer, B W and Hannam, I, "Agrarian Land Law in Australia" in W Brussaard & M Grossman (eds), Agrarian Land Law in the Western World, CAB Publishers, Oxford (1992), 212-233.
- Boer, B W, "Heritage Law and Local Government" in Z Lipman (ed), Local Government and Environmental Controls, Federation Press (1991), 1-21.
- Boer, B W, "Sustaining the Heritage" in J M Behrens & B M Tsamenyi (eds), Our Common Future, Faculty of Law, University of Tasmania (1991), 88-102.
- Johns, F, Saul, B, Hirsch, P, Stephens, T and Boer, B, ‘Law and the Mekong River Basin: A Social-Legal Research Agenda on the Role of Hard and Soft Law in Regulating Transboundary Water Resources’ (2010) 11 Melbourne Journal of International Law 154-174.
- Blake, J & Boer, B, 'Human Rights, the Environment and the Tehran Declaration' (2009) 39(6) Environmental Policy and Law 302-307.
- Boer, B W & Hannam, I D, ‘Drafting Legislation for Sustainable Soils: Judicative principles towards sustainable land use and protection of the soil quality’ European Land and Soil Alliance Bulletin, November 2008
- Boer, B W & Hannam, I D, ‘Legal Aspects of Sustainable Soils: International and National’ (2003) 12(2) Review of European Community and International Environmental Law 149-163.
- Boer, B W, ‘Environmental Law Education in the New Millennium’ (2001) Land and Water 10pp.
- Boer, B W, ‘Sustainability Law for the New Millennium and The Role of Environmental Legal Education’ (2000) 123 Water, Air, Soil, Pollution 447-465
- Boer, B W, ‘The Globalisation of Environmental Law’ (2000) 76 Reform 33-39.
- Boer, B W, ‘The Rise of Environmental Law in Asia’ (1999) 32 University of Richmond Law Review 1503-1553 (Virginia, USA)
- Boer, B W, ‘The Rise of Environmental Law in Asia’ (1999) 32 University of Richmond Law Review 1503-1553.
- Boer, B W & Rothwell, D R, ‘The influence of International Environmental Law on Australian Courts’ (1998) 7 Review of European Community and International Environmental Law 31-39.
- Boer, B W & Rothwell, D, ‘The influence of International Environmental Law on Australian Courts’ (1998) 7 Review of European Community and International Environmental Law 31-39.
- Boer, B W, ‘Le Droit international de l'environment dans les pays en development du Pacifique Sud’ (1998) 1997(2) Annuaire de Droit de la Mer 237-264
- Boer, B W, ‘1996 World Conservation Congress’ (1997) 2(1) Asia Pacific Journal of Environmental Law 98-103
- Boer, B W, ‘Developments in International Environmental Law Relating to Forests’ (1997) 14 Environmental and Planning Law Journal 378-385.
- Boer, B W, ‘A Culture of Sustainability and the Role of International Environmental Law’, Sustainability: Principles to Practice, Keynote address, Fenner Conference Proceedings, Canberra (1996), 25pp.
- Boer, B W & Rothwell, DR, ‘From the Franklin to Berlin: The Internationalisation of Australian Environmental Law and Policy’ (1995) 17 The Sydney Law Review 242-277.
- Boer, B W, ‘The Globalisation of Environmental Law: The Role of the United Nations’ (1995) 20(1) Melbourne University Law Review 101-125.
- Boer, B W, ‘Institutionalising Ecologically Sustainable Development: the Roles of National, State and Local Governments in Translating Grand Strategy into Action’ (1995) 31 Willamette Law Review 307-358.
- Richardson, B J & Boer, B W, ‘Federal Public Inquiries and Environmental Assessment’ (1995) 2 Australian Journal of Environmental Management 90-103.
- Boer, B W, Craig, D & Richardson, B J, ‘Indigenous Peoples and Environmental Management: A Review of Canadian Regional Agreements and their Potential Application to Australia’ (1994) Part I, 11 (4) Environmental and Planning Law Journal 320-343; (1994) Part II, 11 (5) Environmental and Planning Law Journal 357-381.
- Boer, B W, ‘Environmental and Resource Law in Australia’ (1993) 31 (2) Osgoode Hall Law Journal 327-369.
- Boer, B W, ‘World Heritage Disputes in Australia’ (1992) 7 Journal of Environmental Law and Litigation 247-279.
- Boer, B W, ‘Implementing Sustainability’ (1992) 14 Delhi Law Review 1-33.
- Boer, B W, ‘Public Inquiries in Resource Use Decisions’ (1992) Australian Mining and Petroleum Law Association Yearbook 1-41.
- Richardson B J, Craig D G & Boer, B W, Regional Agreements for Indigenous Lands and Cultures in Canada, North Australia Research Unit Australian National University: Darwin (1994), 90pp.
- Boer, B W, Review of Environmental Law in Solomon Islands, South Pacific Regional Environment Programme Apia (1993), 120pp.
- Boer, B W (ed), Reviews of Environmental Law in Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Kingdom of Tonga, Republic of Marshall Islands, South Pacific Regional Environment Programme (1995).
- Boer, B W (ed), Strengthening Environmental Legislation in the Pacific Region, South Pacific Regional Environmental Programme, Apia (1993), 201pp.
- Boer, B W & Sowden, A, The Challenge of Global Environmental Protection, Board of Studies, New South Wales (1993), 93pp; plus associated Resource Materials.
- Member, Editorial Board, Review of European Community and International Environmental Law, (published by the Foundation of International Environmental Law and Development, University of London)
- Book Review Editor, Editorial Board, Asia Pacific Journal of Environmental Law (London)
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Environmental Law (London)
- Member, Editorial Board, Comparative Environmental Law and Policy Series, Kluwer Law International, London
- Boer, B, 'Legal Research on Sustainability in the ASEAN Region: Focus on Water Law' presented at Rights, Regulation and Responsibility: Australian and Singaporean Perspectives, Sydney, (30-31 July 2009)
- Boer, B, ‘Protected Areas, Sustainable Livelihoods and Environmental Law’, presented at IUCN Academy of Environmental Law Annual Colloquium, ‘Poverty Alleviation and Environmental Law’: Mexico City (November 2008)
- Boer, B, ‘Research and Teaching in Environmental Law in Developing Countries’ presented at 1re Congreso Internacional, ‘Derceho Ambiental: Desaf'os en el Nuevo Milenio, Bogotá: Colombia (November 2008)
- Boer, B, ‘Legal Frameworks for Protected Areas: International and national’, presented at the Australian Protected Areas Congress: Sunshine Coast (November 2008)
- Boer, B, ‘New Approaches to effective implementation of international conventions on Protected Areas’ presented at IUCN World Conservation Congress: Barcelona (October 2008)
- Boer, B, ‘The implementation of international conventions relevant to protected areas at national level,’ presented at ‘Protected Areas Law and Policy International Workshop’ (Convenor): Ottawa (June 2008)
- Boer, B W, ‘The Role for the IUCN Academy of Environmental Law in facing Global Challenges’, presented to the American Bar Association, Section on Environment, Energy and Resources (May 2008)
- Boer, B W, Keynote Presentation presented at the Conference on Public Interest Environmental Law in Australia - Environmental Defender’s Office (NSW): Sydney (2005)
- Boer, B W, ‘Assessing the Implementation of the World Heritage Convention and other MEAs in the Asian Region’ presented at the Conference for Assessing and Harmonizing Implementation and Compliance of MEAs: International, Regional and National - International Centre for Environmental Compliance: Tokyo (December 2004)
- Boer, B W, ‘International Law and Japanese Whaling Case in Federal Court of Australia’ - Environmental Defender’s Office (NSW): Sydney (2004)
- Boer, B W, Newell, B & Grist, P, ‘The New Practice Directions of the Land and Environment Court’ presented at the Environmental Planning Law Association Annual Conference (6 October 2004)
- Boer, B W, & Bejamin, A H (ed) ‘Pollution Regulation’ presented at the International Conference on Environmental Law - San Paulo, Brazil (2001)
- Boer, B W, & Roache, A (ed) ‘Integrated Development Assessment and Heritage Law’ presented at the School of Planning and Urban Development, UNSW - Sydney (1997)
- Boer, B W, ‘Environmental Laws and the Laws of Nature’ presented to the Research Institute for Asia and the Pacific: Sydney (1997)