Ms Irene Baghoomians
Bachelor of Science (Hons) Syd; Bachelor of Laws Syd; LLM Columbia
- Foundations of Law
- Law, Lawyers and Justice
- External Placement Programme Series
Areas of Interest
- International human rights law and practice, with a focus on human rights litigation both domestically and abroad.
- International humanitarian law focusing on issues of accountability for human rights violations and international criminal law.
- Clinical legal education, its practice and parameters and its development and enhancement in Australian law schools.
Brief Biographical Detail
For over a decade, Irene Baghoomians has worked in the areas of public interest and human rights litigation, policy and research. She graduated from law school in 1994 and has worked at the Australian Law Reform Commission, the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet and prior to her departure for New York was a legal policy advisor at the Race Discrimination Unit of HREOC (1998-2000). In New York, she studied for an LLM in Columbia University Law School (2000- 2001) and was designated as a human rights fellow and upon graduation was granted a second human rights fellowship which she spent at the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) - a non-profit legal and educational organization dedicated to protecting and advancing the rights enshrined in the US Constitution and the UDHR. At CCR, she worked on human rights cases litigated under the Alien Torts Claims Act and civil rights statutes including Guantanamo Bay detainees cases until her return to Australia in 2004. She is currently a lecturer at the University of Sydney Law School and is the coordinator of the clinical legal education program.
- Saul, B, Mowbray, J & Baghoomians, I, 'Resistance to Regional Human Rights Cooperation in the Asia-Pacific: Demythologizing Regional Exceptionalism by Learning from The Americas, Europe, and Africa' in H Nasu & B Saul (eds), Human Rights in the Asia-Pacific Region: Towards Institution Building, Routledge: UK (2011) 107-126
- Saul, B, Mowbray, J & Baghoomians, I, 'The Last Frontier of Human Rights Protection: Interrogating Resistance to Regional Cooperation in the Asia-Pacific' (2011) 18 Australian International Law Journal 23-52
- Baghoomians, I, 'Book Review: Thinking Like a Lawyer: A New Introduction to Legal Reasoning, by Frederick Schauer' (2009) 31(3) Sydney Law Review 499
- Baghoomians, I, ‘Teaching Indigenous Legal Issues in Foundations of Law’ presented at The Future of Indigenous Legal Studies in Australasian Law Schools: Incorporating Indigenous Issues in Law Curricula – Faculty of Law, University of Sydney, 10-11 July 2008
- Baghoomians, I, ‘The Trial and Tribulation of David Hicks: A Citizen Without Rights’ presented at Lunchtime Seminar – Faculty of Law, University of Sydney, 31 August 2006
- Baghoomians, I, ‘Human Rights’ presented at the NSW Legal Studies Association State Conference – Parramatta, Sydney NSW, 31 March 2005
- Saul, B, Mowbray, J & Baghoomians, I, ‘Submission to Commonwealth Attorney General's Department in relation to the Optional Protocol to CEDAW’ (2008)
- Baghoomians, I, & Rothwell, D R, ‘Sydney Centre for International and Global Law submission to Senate Legal and Constitutional Committee Inquiry into the Anti-Terrorism Bill (No.2)’ (2005)