Emeritus Professor Ivan Shearer AM RFD
Professor of Law, Retired;
Member of the United Nations Human Rights Committee, 2001-2008.
LLB LLM Adelaide SJD Northwestern
Areas of interest
Public international law; the law of the sea; the law of armed conflict; international humanitarian law; human rights law; national security law; extradition law.
Challis Professor of International Law, University of Sydney, 1993-2003
Professor of Law, University of New South Wales, Sydney, 1975-1993
Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader in Law, University of Adelaide, 1964-1974
Recent visiting appointments
George P. Smith Distinguished Visiting Professor of Law, Indiana University, School of Law – Bloomington, January-February 2004.
Charles H. Stockton Professor of International Law, United States Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island, 2000-2001.
Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Courts of South Australia and Victoria
Barrister of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
Practitioner, High Court of Australia
President, International Law Association (Australian Branch) since 2004
Elected Member of the International Institute of Humanitarian Law, San Remo, Italy
Member of the Permanent Court of Arbitration, The Hague
Arbitrator designated by Australia under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea
Brief Biographical Detail
Schooling and first university education in Adelaide, South Australia
Research assistant to Professor D.P. O’Connell, 1962-64, in his capacity as rapporteur of the International Law Association’s Committee on State Succession and Treaties
Rockefeller Travelling Scholar, Hague Academy of International Law (Research session), 1962
Visiting Scholar, Max Planck Institute for Foreign, International and Comparative Law, Heidelberg, Germany, 1962
Ford Foundation Fellow in International Legal Studies, Northwestern University School of Law, 1964-65
Visiting Scholar, University of Cologne, Germany, 1968
United Nations Development Programme, resident consultant on treaty succession to the Government of the Kingdom of Lesotho, 1971-72
Visiting Fellow, All Souls College Oxford, 1978
Commonwealth Secretariat (London), rapporteur on the revision of Commonwealth extradition arrangements, 1980
Visiting Professor, Summer School in International Law, Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki, Greece, 1985
Dean, Faculty of Law, University of New South Wales, 1984-87, 88-90
Scholar-in-residence, International Legal Division, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Canberra, 1991
Editor, Sydney Law Review, 2001-2003
Judge ad hoc, International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, Hamburg Germany, Southern Bluefin Tuna case (Australia and New Zealand v. Japan, 1999), and the Volga case (Russian Federation v. Australia, 2002)
Member of the Arbitral Tribunal, Case Concerning Land Reclamation by Singapore In and Around the Straits of Johor (Malaysia v. Singapore) 2003-2005
Member of the Arbitral Tribunal, Maritime Delimitation between Guyana and Suriname, 2004-
Royal Australian Navy Reserve, Legal Panel, 1974-2001 (ret’d with rank of Captain)
Awarded a Centenary Medal by Australia, 2003
- Shearer, I, "The Engagement of Asia-Pacific States with the UN Human Rights Committee: Reporting and Individual Petitions" in H Nasu & B Saul (eds), Human Rights in the Asia-Pacific Region: Towards Institution Building, Routledge: UK (forthcoming)
- Shearer, I, "Human Rights in an Age of Terrorism" in G Doeker-Mach & K A Ziegert (eds), Law and Legal Culture in Comparative Perspective, Franz Steiner Verlag: Stuttgart (2004), 125-141.
- Shearer, I, "Oceans Management Challenges for the Law of the Sea in the First Decade of the 21st Century" in A G Oude Elferink & D R Rothwell (eds), Oceans Management in the 21st Century: Institutional Frameworks and Responses, Martinus Nijhoff: Leiden (2004), 1-17.
- Shearer, I, " Military Activities in the Exclusive Economic Zone: The case of aerial surveillance" in E Mann Borgese, A Chircop & M McConnell (eds), Ocean Yearbook, 17, University of Chicago Press: USA (2004), 548-562.
- Shearer, I, "Enforcement of law against delinquent maritime vessels in Australia's maritime zones" in D Sherwood & D MacKinnon (eds), Policing Australia's Offshore Zones: Problems and Prospects, Centre for Maritime Policy: Wollongong (1997), 239-253.
- Shearer, I, "Jurisdiction" in R Piotrowicz, S Blay & M Tsamenyi (eds), Public International Law: An Australian Perspective, OUP: Melbourne (1997), 161-192.
- Shearer, I, "The relationship between international law and domestic law" in D Rothwell & B Opeskin (eds), International Law and Australian Federalism, MUP: Melbourne (1997), 34-68.
- Shearer, I, 'Australia, the United States and the Rule of Law in International Affairs: Comparisons and Contrasts' (2006) 26(2) Adelaide Law Review 191-209.
- Shearer, I, 'In Fear of International Law' (2005) 12 Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies 345-378.
- Shearer, I, 'International Legal Relations Between Australia and Taiwan: Behind the façade' (2001) 21 Australian Yearbook of International Law 113-132.
- Shearer, I, 'A Pope, two Presidents and a Prime Minister' (2001) 7 ILSA Journal of International Law 429-440.
- Shearer, I, 'Book review - Osterdahl, I, "Threat to the Peace: The Interpretation by the Security Council of Article 39 of the UN Charter" in H Charlesworth & R.McCorquodale (eds)' (2001) 21 The Australian Yearbook of International Law 166-168
- Shearer, I, 'The debate to assess the need for new accords', presented to Naval War College, Rhode Island, USA, (1997).
- Shearer, I, 'The Proposed International Criminal Court', presented to Australian National University, Canberra, (1998).
- Shearer, I, 'How humane is humanitarian law', presented at New Zealand Defence Forces Seminar on International Law, Wellington, (1999).
- Shearer, I, 'The Pinochet Case', presented at Australasian Model United Nations Conference, Sydney, (1999).
- Shearer, I, 'The relationship between International Law and National Law', presented at LAWASIA conference, Seoul, South Korea, (1999).
- Shearer, I, 'The role of the law', presented at Preservation & Protection of the Marine Environment Conference, Wollongong, (2000).
- Shearer, I, 'The UN Human Rights Committee: Impressions of a new member', presented at Human Rights and Global Challenges, Monash University, Melbourne, (2001).