Australian Centre for Climate and Environmental Law (ACCEL)
The objectives of the Centre are to encourage, promote and support innovative and important scholarship including teaching, research, consultancy and public interest advocacy in all areas of environmental law and policy. These objectives are pursued within the University of Sydney, with other related Centres and institutions in Australia and overseas, with the legal profession, and with the wider community.
Asia Pacific Journal of Environmental Law - Submissions invited
APJEL - Volume 16 (2013)
ACCEL are pleased to announce that Volume 16 (2013) of the Asia Pacific Journal of Environmental Law has been released: please refer to the Table of Contents
- 2014 Subscription Rates and Order Form for print copies only is now available.
- The Asia Pacific Journal of Environmental Law (1996 – present) is now available online: For information please refer to the APJEL web page.
ACCEL news bulletin
- In July, Sydney Law School is offering the world’s first postgraduate Climate Disaster Law unit of study. The unit will be taught at Clare College, University of Cambridge under the auspices of the Sydney Law School in Europe program.
- Professor Rosemary Lyster, Director of ACCEL speaks about climate and environmental law in the Sydney Law School Staff Spotlight Video Series. Click here to watch the video
- Rapid Response Seminar: The Judgment in the Whaling in the Antarctic Case on 3 April 2014: On 31 March the International Court of Justice will hand down its eagerly awaited judgment in the Whaling in the Antarctic case between Australia and Japan. The decision carries major significance for Australia and Japan and the international regulation of whaling. This rapid response seminar led by two international legal experts on whaling and fisheries issues will review the background to the case, the key conclusions reached in the Court's judgment, and the implications of the case for the International Whaling Commission. Event details
- 2014 IPCC Fifth Assessment Report - Sydney Ideas Forum on 1 April 2014: The second component of the Fifth Assessment Report of the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is set to be one of the most significant climate change publications for 2014. Covering impacts, adaptation and vulnerability, this report holds particular significance as it includes an Australian focused chapter. The Sydney Environment Institute (SEI) and the Australian Centre for Climate and Environmental Law (ACCEL) have collaborated to present a landmark Sydney Ideas event that brings together the nation's leading experts to discuss the implications of this publication. The event received 385 registrations. read more
- Academic Position advertised: Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor in Environmental Law
- Work with internationally renowned colleagues at Sydney Law School
- Progressive and globally focused law school
- Two full-time continuing positions, remuneration package: $107K - $174Kp.a. (which includes leave loading and up to 17% super)
Successful candidates will: hold, or have made significant progress towards obtaining, a postgraduate law degree, demonstrating specialist knowledge in Environmental Law; have a proven track record of original legal research in Environmental Law, demonstrated by publication in refereed academic journals and leading Environmental Law texts; be capable of effective teaching in Environmental Law at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels; demonstrated talent and enthusiasm for teaching one of the compulsory law subjects in the LLB and JD programs, such as torts, contracts, and administrative/public law; have an interest in and ability to contribute to the activities of ACCEL.
Applications closed - 6 April 2014
- Book Launch: Asia-Pacific Disaster Management: Socio-Legal and Comparative Perspectives - The book will be launched by The Hon Robert McClelland, former federal Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Services on 18 March 2014. More information
- 2013: ACCEL News - October 2012 - August 2013
- 2012: ACCEL News - January-September 2012
- 2010-2011:ACCEL News - June 2010-July 2011
- 2010: ACCEL News - January-June 2010
- 2009:ACCEL News - Semester 1 2009 | ACCEL News - Semester 2 2009