Harvard Law School Exchange
Sydney Law School and Harvard Law School have developed a student exchange program for postgraduate research students. This is a unique opportunity for you to spend one semester (Spring Semester: Jan to May or Fall Semester: Sep to Dec) at Harvard to advance your research. Many students have participated in the University’s various exchange programs and have found them to be an exciting and challenging way of broadening their academic horizons and enriching their experience in different environments and cultures.
There is a limit of one place per year and acceptance as an exchange candidate by Sydney Law School is not a guarantee of a place at Harvard. Once a candidate has been selected by Sydney Law School, formal enrolment procedures must be completed and an independent decision is made by Harvard Law School.
To be eligible you must:
- be enrolled at Sydney Law School in your second or third year of candidature at the commencement of the exchange program
- demonstrate that you are making strong progress towards timely completion of your thesis
- not have been on the Harvard research exchange previously
Scholarship and student visa holders are advised to consult with the relevant office regarding the terms/conditions of their award/visa prior to applying.
If you are the successful applicant you will receive a fee-waiver for your time at Harvard. You will be responsible for expenses relating to visa, flights, accommodation, compulsory Harvard medical insurance as well as general living expenses.
Acceptance as an exchange candidate by Sydney Law School is not a guarantee of a place at Harvard. Once a candidate has been selected by Sydney Law School, formal enrolment procedures must be completed and an independent decision is made by Harvard Law School.
Interested participants are invited to submit an Expression of interest to the Postgraduate Team Leader by the end of each August.
The Expression of Interest must include:
- statement of purpose which outlines:
- reasons for applying
- description of your research interests and project
- details on how a semester at Harvard would enable you to achieve particular research objectives
- nature and duration of the work you propose to undertake at Harvard Law School - explain why this work is essential for completion of your degree
- benefits you would gain from working at Harvard Law School
- outline of your academic, research and/or professional achievements – please attach relevant supporting documents
- evidence of strong progress being made towards timely completion of your thesis - please provide supporting statements from your supervisors
- statement indicating how you will be able to sufficiently fund your travel – please visit Scholarships and Financial Support
- any other additional information in support of your application
Selection will be based on research performance, academic and/or professional achievements, satisfactory progress and suitability of the proposed work at Harvard.