How to apply - Domestic students

Martin Slattery, Master of Laws (LLM)

“A Master of Laws at the University of Sydney was a great way to refocus and deepen my knowledge after a few years of practical experience in the workforce. The program was flexible, taught by industry leaders and a thoroughly rewarding experience. Revisiting the theory of law reminded me why I had wanted to practise law in the first place.”

Martin Slattery, Master of Laws (LLM)

Admission to coursework programs

Self-education expenses

The proposed cap on the amount you can deduct for work-related self-education expenses will NOT be implemented. You can find more information on the Australian Taxation Office website

Making an application

If you require assistance with making an online application, please contact the Direct Applications Team, Student Centre. For postgraduate law course enquiries, please contact the Postgraduate Team, Sydney Law School.

Please ensure you have all documents required for the application for uploading before commencing the online application process.

- Apply online via your selected Graduate Diploma or Master’s
- Online Non-Degree application form (Course code: NPLAWLAW-01)

Applicants who are unable to commit to a full award course may pursue postgraduate study on a single unit study basis with assessments (up to 12 credit points). Non-degree study is available to graduates who hold a LLB/JD or a related bachelor's degree. Relevant units may be credited towards an award course upon successful completion. Fee-HELP payment option is not available for non-degree study.

- Online Cross-Institutional application form (Course code: CPLAWLAW-01)

Applicants who are currently enrolled in a Sydney Law School equivalent Master of Laws or specialist master's degree at another University may apply to undertake cross-institutional study. Cross-institutional study is available to graduates who hold a LLB/JD or a related bachelor's degree.

- Course transfer application
    1. Entry to a new specialist law course - current students who are seeking a transfer to a new course in another specialist law area e.g. transferring from MIL to MCrim should submit a new application Online Graduate Diploma and Master’s application form.
    2. #Course upgrade - current graduate diploma students may apply for an upgrade to a relevant embedded master's upon successful completion of the graduate diploma with a 65% credit average. Specialist law students who hold an LLB or JD with a minimum credit average may apply for a transfer to the LLM.
    3. #Early exit award - current master's students may apply for an early exit and graduate with an embedded graduate diploma.

#Upon publication of the previous semester's results, students may apply online via MyUni. Applications must be made before 10 January (commencing in Semester 1) and 10 July (commencing in Semester 2). All students should continue with their current course until the transfer is approved. If you need to withdraw from units during the transfer period, please ensure you do so before the relevant census date

Documents required:

All supporting documents submitted to the University of Sydney must be official documents to be uploaded for the application. Please refer to document submission guidelines.

  • Official academic transcripts of all qualifications held. The transcripts must contain all final semester grades, grading information and the course completion/conferral date(s). If the transcripts are not in English, please provide official translated transcripts in addition to the official transcript.
  • Proof of Australian/NZ citizenship or Australian permanent resident status certified by a Justice of the Peace
  • Statement of relevant experience
  • English language proficiency test result (if applicable)

Applying for credit or exemption from a compulsory unit

Please review the application guidelines and checklist before making an application.

Coursework application closing dates

  Applications open: Applications close:
Semester 1, 2016 4 September 2015 *Still open
Semester 2, 2016 11 March 2016 25 April 2016

* Late applications may be considered. However, some units may have restricted class size and compulsory units may run early in the semester. It is strongly recommended that applicants submit their application on time to avoid disappointment. If you are intending to apply for a scholarship, please ensure your full application is received well in advance of the relevant closing date. Please contact the Postgraduate Team, Sydney Law School for further details.