Postgraduate Coursework Law @ Sydney - Information for international applicants

A list of frequently asked questions for international candidates considering study in our postgraduate coursework is below. For all other information, consult the International Office website.

What type of postgraduate law programs do you offer?

For information on programs offered, please visit the Programs and Courses section for coursework students or research students.

How do I apply?

Submit your application online

The University of Sydney has introduced an application fee of AUD $100 for international applications. Information regarding this fee is located on the application form.

International applications must be forwarded directly to:

International Office
Level 4, Jane Foss Russell Building (G02)
The University of Sydney

To make sure your application is processed promptly, please make sure your application is complete and you attach all the required documents.

Does the application process differ for research degrees?

Applicants interested in undertaking a research degree must in the first instance submit an Expression of Interest. The Associate Dean (Research) will consider the Expression of Interest on the basis of the prospective student’s eligibility to enter a postgraduate research program as well as the faculty’s capacity to provide supervision within the relevant research area. The applicant will then be advised whether they should proceed to the next stage of making a formal application for admission. Expressions of interest must be submitted at least 2 months prior to the application closing date.

When can I apply?

Application closing dates for International students applying for coursework programs are:

Semester 1: last Friday of October

Semester 2: last Friday of April

Late applications may be considered, however, it is recommended that your application is submitted well in advance of the relevant closing date to avoid any delay in processing and to ensure that you will be able to commence in the semester requested.

How long does it take to complete a postgraduate coursework program in law at Sydney?

For international students on a student visa, Masters by coursework programs must be completed in a duration of 1 year. Graduate Diplomas must be completed in a duration of 6 months.

How many units of study can I enrol in each semester?

International students undertaking studies on a student visa must enrol in a full-time workload, which is at four units (24 credit points).

When and where are classes held?

Semester length units are taught once a week usually between Monday to Thursday from 6-8 pm. Intensive units of study are taught over four to five days, over consecutive weekends or a one-week block. Students should always consult the latest Postgraduate Timetable on the website for details. The total number of tuition hours for each unit of study, whether semester-length or intensive, is 26 hours. Classes are held at the Camperdown Campus and St. James Campus unless otherwise indicated on the timetable.

If I don’t have a law degree can I still apply for postgraduate law study at Sydney?

Yes, but only for the specialist coursework programs, where relevant previous study in the discipline is required for entry.

What level of English proficiency do I need for admission to postgraduate law programs?

If you have undertaken your previous studies in a language other than English, you will need to demonstrate English language proficiency before admission is confirmed. The following tests and scores satisfy the Sydney Law School’s English language requirements for entry to postgraduate programs:

1. IELTS overall band score of 7.0, with no less than 6.0 in any component.

Paper Test: 600 plus TWE (Test of Written English) = 4.5
Computer Based Test = 250 plus a score of 4.5 in the Essay writing component
Internet Based Test = 100 with a minimum of 23 in the writing section
Scores more than two years old cannot be accepted.

3. Pearson Test of English (PTE) – Academic Test
Overall Score: 68 with a minimum of 54 in each section

Can I undertake classes to improve my English?

If you need to improve your standard of English prior to studying at the Faculty of Law, you can obtain information from the Centre for English Teaching (CET) at the University of Sydney. CET can also prepare you for a university direct entry test.

What is the cost of postgraduate law programs?

Thetuition fee rates for international students are available from Postgraduate Law Fees

Are there any other costs involved?

As part of the admissions process, international students are required to pay for health insurance in Australia through the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) scheme. The University-preferred provider of OSHC is currently Worldcare.

Are there any scholarships available?

For information on the various scholarships available to international students, please visit Postgraduate Scholarships for international students.

Where can I find information on accommodation and the cost of living in Sydney?

Information regarding accommodation, both on-campus and off-campus can be located at the Accommodation and Living Costs website.

The International Student Support Unit (ISSU) can also help international students with temporary accommodation upon their arrival.

Where can I find information on obtaining a student visa?

For information on obtaining an Australian Student Visa, Pre-Visa Assessment (PVA) and Australia Student visa Conditions please visit Australia Student Visa Information