Peer Mentoring Program – Mentors
The Mentoring Program Coordinator calls for volunteer Mentors towards the end of each year to participate in the program in the new year.
We are now looking for mentors for 2017.
Mentors must be available for session 1 of either the JD or LLB program (see dates below). Students who express interest in being a mentor will be contacted in January.
Your role as a mentor
As a mentor you will provide valuable support to first year law students.
What you will do:
- Attend a fun 1-2 hour training session that will provide you with the skills, knowledge and confidence to be an effective mentor.
- Mix with other mentors to share your knowledge and experiences.
- Mentor either JD Full-Time students; JD Part-Time Students; or LLB (combined) students.
- You will be allocated a group of 5-10 commencing first year students (your "mentees") and conduct two mentoring sessions with them.
- Lead your mentee group through discussions to provide information, tips and direction on life as a Sydney Law student. You will share your knowledge and experience with mentees to help their transition into uni life. You may also direct them to support services at the University as required.
- Be a point of contact for your mentees throughout their first semester at Sydney Law School.
A mentor is not expected to:
- Provide tutoring or academic advice or answers. Instead help them locate the appropriate place or people for assistance or answers.
- Be a counsellor. Instead, listen and then direct them to the appropriate support services at the University.
- Be an expert in all things. Instead be a guide to help them find their way.
Important dates for the 2017 program
Lecture Theatre 106
Thursday 16 February 2017
|JD Full-Time Orientation - Mentor/Mentee Session||
Lecture Theatre 101
Either 1.00-2.00pm or 2.00-3.00pm
Monday 20 February 2017
|JD Part-time Orientation - Mentor/Mentee Session||
Law School Common Room (Level 4 - Law Building)
Wednesday, 1 March 2017
|LLB Orientation - Mentor/Mentee Session||
Lecture Theatre 101
Wednesday 1 March 2017
|JD/LLB Interfaculty Tug-of-War Challenge||Week 1, date TBC|
Sign up to be a Mentor
We encourage you to sign up to be a mentor via this link.
For more information, please contact the .