LAWS6163 - ENERGY & CLIMATE LAW
- Acquire an inter-disciplinary and integrative approach to understanding the dynamics of one of the most pressing global environmental concerns, ecologically sustainable energy use, and evaluate the perspectives of scientists, lawyers and economists to develop an integrated approach to sustainable energy use.
- Identify current patterns of energy use in Australia and examine Australia's response to the Climate Change Convention.
- Analyse the strengths and weaknesses of various political, legal and economic mechanisms that influence the choice of energy use.
UN Framework Convention on Climate Change; world carbon market; emissions trading schemes; legal issues relating to the Clean Development Mechanism; legal framework for geosequestration in Australia; renewable energy and energy efficiency; climate change litigation, corporate governance and corporate social responsibility; nuclear energy.
Semester 2 Intensive
6, 7 & 13, 14 September 2013
The timetable is subject to frequent changes. Please refer to the latest version of the Postgraduate Timetable.
Candidates who have previously completed LAWS6863 - International Energy Law are not permitted to enrol in this unit.
- Class Participation (20%)
- 1 x 7,000 Word Essay (80%)
Please note: This unit replaced LAWS6163 International & Australian Climate Law (formerly Energy Law)
You can credit this unit towards Legal Professional Development (LPD). Units of study that are part of Sydney Law School’s Postgraduate Program meet the necessary Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) of the Law Society of New South Wales and the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements of the New South Wales Bar Association. You may complete this unit of study by enrolling on a non-degree basis or on an audit basis only with no assessment via Single Unit Enrolment.
Master of Laws | Graduate Diploma in Law | Master of Global Law | Master of Environmental Law | Graduate Diploma in Environmental Law | Master of Environmental Science and Law | Master of International Law | Graduate Diploma in International Law