LAWS6060 - International Commercial Arbitration
- Outline the key principles in the law of international commercial arbitration (ICA).
- Discuss a range of cutting-edge legal issues; and nurture a sophisticated understanding of the historical development, and likely future path, of ICA systems in relation to other forms of dispute resolution in trans-border contexts.
- Develop an ability to discuss or argue arbitration law issues with colleagues, and to gain familiarity with key reference materials, expertise in conducting independent research, and skills in effective legal writing in this field.
- Consider how international commercial arbitration relates to litigation and ADR, surveys some of the most important transnational and Australian legislative instruments, and introduces major trends.
The arbitration agreement; the constitution of the arbitral tribunal; applicable law issues, including consideration of the law governing the arbitration, the role of the seat, and the role of national courts; procedure in international arbitration; the jurisdiction of the arbitral tribunal; the role of arbitral institutions; the arbitral award and challenges to the award; and recognition and enforcement of the award.
Semester 2 Intensive
15, 16 & 29, 30 August 2014
The timetable is subject to frequent changes. Please refer to the latest version of the Postgraduate Timetable.
- 1 x Take Home Exam (40%)
- 1 x 5,000 Word Research Essay (60%)
You can credit this unit towards Continuing Professional Development (CPD). Units of study that are part of Sydney Law School’s Postgraduate Program meet the necessary Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) of the Law Society of New South Wales and the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements of the New South Wales Bar Association. You may complete this unit of study by enrolling on a non-degree basis or on an audit basis only with no assessment via Single Unit Study.
Master of Laws | Graduate Diploma in Law | Master of Global Law | Master of Business Law | Graduate Diploma in Commercial Law | Graduate Diploma in Corporate, Securities and Finance Law | Master of International Law | Graduate Diploma in International Law | Graduate Diploma in International Business Law | Master of International Business and Law