LAWS6936 - Carbon Trading, Derivatives and Taxation
This unit of study is designed to appeal to students across a broad range of postgraduate programs and expands on existing offerings in the area of Climate Law.
The unit will cover four discrete topics on each day of the four day intensive:
- International Climate Law (UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, Kyoto Protocol, post-2012 negotiations) and domestic Climate Law (measures effecting a price on carbon and other relevant environmental markets);
- understanding how to trade carbon and other certificates on a variety of environmental markets;
- understanding the relevant carbon and other derivative markets;
- and understanding the taxation implications of participating in carbon and other environmental markets.
The unit assumes a basic knowledge of environmental law. The unit brings together experts within the Sydney Law School, including environmental and taxation lawyers, and experts in carbon trading and derivative markets in private practice.
Semester 1 Intensive
14-17 May 2014
The timetable is subject to frequent changes. Please refer to the latest version of the Postgraduate Timetable.
- 1 x Take-Home Exam (100%)
You can credit this unit towards Continuing Professional Development (CPD). Units of study that are part of Sydney Law School’s Postgraduate Program meet the necessary Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) of the Law Society of New South Wales and the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements of the New South Wales Bar Association. You may complete this unit of study by enrolling on a non-degree basis or on an audit basis only with no assessment via Single Unit Enrolment.
Courses this unit is available in
Master of Laws | Graduate Diploma in Law | Master of Global Law | Master of Environmental Law | Graduate Diploma in Environmental Law | Master of Business Law | Master of Taxation | Master of International Taxation | Graduate Diploma in Taxation | Graduate Diploma in International Business Law | Master of International Law | Graduate Diploma in International Law | Master of Environmental Science and Law | Master of International Business and Law