Grant and Contract Administration
Research grants and contracts are legally binding agreements between the provider and the researcher. This module explores the nature of research grants and contracts. It examines the principles of effective grant management and explores the responsibilities of the researcher with respect to the execution and reporting of project outcomes. It is essential for any researcher with responsibility for a grant execution.
Significant aspects of grant management are covered in other modules (finance and Risk Management, Commencement and Collaboration etc. This module links to relevant information in those other modules and if you have completed them there is no need to cover that material again. It is included here under a broad umbrella of what is important to consider in grant management.
As a result the workshop for this module is short (2 hours) and covers:
- advice from Research Grants and Contracts about key pitfalls in grant and contract management
- managing communication (internally and externally) through the life of a grant
- Inform you about your obligations and responsibilities as the first-named CI/PI of a research grant or research contract
- Provide practical advice on how to manage research grants and contracts
- Give you an overview of the legalities and structure of research contracts
- Help you to think strategically about how to schedule tasks and outcomes for your new project while accommodating all the other activities in which you are involved
After completing this module you should be able to:
- Review a funding agreement or draft research contract and identify key issues that relate to the administration of your project
- Design a plan for the management of your project that includes the preparation of a schedule of timelines, tasks and outcomes for everyone involved in the project
- Identify administrative sections in your institution that can assist in the administration of your research
Review strategies for maintaining communication through life of a grant
The module comprises the following topics:
1.0 Administration of research grants
1.1 The nature of research grants
1.2 Managing the research grant
2.0 Administration of research contracts
2.1 The nature of research contracts
2.2 Managing the research contract
There will be a 2 hour workshop associated with this module.
- Joanne Elliot, Manager, Research Grants and Contracts
- Professor William Christie, Pro-Dean Research, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Professor Jillian Kril, Professor of Neuropathology; Associate Dean (Postgraduate Research), School of Medicine
Conference Room, Darlington Centre
9.00am - 11.00 am
4 December 2013
Register for program
For more information or to enrol via CareerPath, click here.