Welcome to the Rare Books and Special Collections Library
The Rare Books and Special Collections Library holds early printed books from Europe, Australia, America and Asia. We also collect high-quality facsimiles, examples of fine printing and binding and modern limited editions. Pre-2013 University of Sydney higher degree theses and University of Sydney publications are also available. There are over 170,000 items in our collections.
- Main collection: early printed books
- Special collections: formed collections on a range of subjects
- Manuscript collections: personal papers, documents, literary manuscripts
- University of Sydney material: publications, literary prizes, college libraries
- Digital format material: scanned images from manuscripts, early texts and illustrated works
- Treasures: some special items from our collection
- Videos: learn more about the treasures in the Rare Books collection
- Archive of Australian Judaica
Our holdings are listed in
- the Library catalogue
- our Special Collections database
- the card catalogue which is located in Rare Books and Special Collections
Accessing Rare Books and Special Collections material
- Fill out a request slip in the Rare Books and Special Collections reception area. Staff will deliver the books to you in the reading room.
- Photo identification is required, for example, University of Sydney library card, driver's licence.
- Basic scanning facilities are available for items up to A3 in size. Due to the fragile nature of some of our material, all scanning is subject to staff approval. Consult staff about digital photography.
|For all enquiries, contact us via: Ask Us Now|
Level 1, Fisher Library
University of Sydney NSW 2006
Tel: +61 2 9351 2992
Fax: +61 2 9351 7187