How to find books
Search the catalogue.
Search the card catalogue if you cannot find what you want in the online catalogue.
The card catalogue is located inside the Rare Book and Special Collections Library on level 1 of Fisher Library. You can only search the card catalogue by Author or Title. Ask staff for assistance.
About the main Rare Book collection
- approximately 56,000 books printed in Europe from the late 15th century to 1801
- one of the largest Short Title Catalogue and Wing collections (material printed between 1475 and 1700) in Australia
- first and early editions of 17th and 18th century English literature, literary criticism and philosophy, particularly works by John Dryden and Thomas Hobbes (Macdonald Collection)
- early Australiana, including books about Australia and voyages of exploration in the Pacific published before European settlement
- 19th and early 20th century Australian literary and historical works, with an emphasis on New South Wales publications
- early American, Asian, New Zealand, Pacific Island and USSR publications
- original editions of 19th century fiction, particularly English "three-decker" novels
- first and important editions of books by 20th century English and American authors
- occult sciences, demonology and witchcraft
- history of science, particularly works on the pure sciences, astronomy and thermodynamics
- works by specific authors: William Blake, Aleister Crowley, Lewis Carroll, Charles Darwin, Charles Dickens, Thomas Eliot, Henry Havelock Ellis, John Galsworthy, Mary Gilmore, John Gould, Aldous Huxley, James Joyce, D.H. Lawrence, Henry Lawson, Norman Lindsay, Georgiana McCrae, Hugh McCrae, Katherine Mansfield, Henry Miller, George Moore, William Morris, Isaac Newton, Joseph Priestly, Oscar Wilde, W.B. Yeats
- modern limited editions, fine binding and printing