Welcome to the Rare Books & Special Collections Library
The Rare Books and Special Collections Library holds early printed books from Europe, Australia, America and Asia. We also collect high-quality facsimiles, examples of fine printing and binding and modern limited editions. All University of Sydney higher degree theses and University of Sydney publications are kept in the Rare Books and Special Collections Library. There are over 170,000 items in our collections.
- Main collection: early printed books
- Special collections: formed collections on a range of subjects
- Manuscript collections: personal papers, documents, literary manuscripts
- University of Sydney material: publications, literary prizes, college libraries
- Digital format material: scanned images from manuscripts, early texts and illustrated works
- Treasures: some special items from our collection
- Videos: learn more about the treasures in the Rare Books collection
- our Special Collections database
- our Manuscripts Finding Aids
Accessing Rare Books and Special Collections material
- Fill out a request slip in the Rare Books and Special Collections Library office. Staff will deliver the books to you in the reading room.
- Photo identification is required (e.g. University of Sydney library card, driver's licence).
- Photocopying is generally not permitted. Consult staff about digital photography.
- The guidelines to the rights and reproduction of images from the Rare Books and Special Collections Library are currently being reviewed.
Use this form or telephone Rare Books staff in advance (02) 935 12992 to use University of Sydney theses and University of Sydney publications after 5pm Monday to Friday or on weekends.
Level 1, Fisher Library
University of Sydney
Telephone: +61 2 935 12992
Fax: +61 2 9351 7187
|Sara Hilder, Exhibitions email@example.com|
|Julie Price, Librarianfirstname.lastname@example.org||All other email@example.com|