Welcome to the Rare Books & Special Collections Library
The Rare Books and Special Collections Library holds early printed books from Europe, Australia, America and Asia. We also collect high-quality facsimiles, examples of fine printing and binding and modern limited editions. Pre-2013 University of Sydney higher degree theses and University of Sydney publications are kept in the Rare Books and Special Collections Library. There are over 170,000 items in our collections.
- Main collection: early printed books
- Special collections: formed collections on a range of subjects
- Manuscript collections: personal papers, documents, literary manuscripts
- University of Sydney material: publications, literary prizes, college libraries
- Digital format material: scanned images from manuscripts, early texts and illustrated works
- Treasures: some special items from our collection
- Videos: learn more about the treasures in the Rare Books collection
Accessing Rare Books and Special Collections material
- Fill out a request slip in the Rare Books and Special Collections Library office. Staff will deliver the books to you in the reading room.
- Photo identification is required (e.g. University of Sydney library card, driver's licence).
- Photocopying is generally not permitted. Consult staff about digital photography.
- Rare Books & Special Collections information for readers
|For all enquiries, contact us via: Ask Us Now|