News & Announcements
The Sydney Addiction Seminars are a post-graduate health education series now held under the auspices of Drug Health Services, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, and the Department of Addiction Medicine, University of Sydney. They are convened by Dr Richard Hallinan and Professor Paul Haber.
Wednesday 25th February, 2015
Performance & Image enhancing drugs
Hallucinogens in addiction medicine and mental health
A range of drugs, deliberately used by humans to cause changes in perception, experience, and consciousness, are known as "hallucinogens" and "psychedelics". These include naturally occurring substances (psilocybin and mescaline) and synthetic drugs (LSD). They have been used for ritual or ceremonial purposes in many indigenous cultures, and in more recent years for "recreational" reasons, and even trialed for therapeutic benefit. Substances used to "enhance" performance range from simple stimulants such as caffeine, to hormonal agents such as anabolic steroids and human growth hormone, which are also used to improve self-image. In this seminar Dr Bruce Boman and Dr Peter Tucker will give us a view if these drugs with and emphasis on the mental health perspective.
Dr Bruce Boman is Clinical Senior Lecturer in Psychiatry, Concord Clinical School.
Dr Peter Tucker is a consultant psychiatrist and Fellow of the Australasian Chapter of Addiction Medicine.
Objectives: At the end of the seminar, the participant will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the types of drugs known as "hallucinogens" including both natural substances and synthetic drugs, and their patterns of use in various societies.
2. Show understanding of the actions of hallucinogens, of harms that can arise from their use, and of their putative therapeutic uses
3. Demonstrate familiarity with the range of drugs used to "enhance" performance and self-image including anabolic steroids =.
4. Show understanding of the mechanism of actions and potential adverse effects of performance and image enhancing drugs, including dependence.
5. Demonstrate an informed approach to the prevention of harms associated with use of hallucinogens and of performance and image enhancing drugs.
We aim to make these seminars as interactive as possible. Please email your suggestions to for cases and questions to Richard Hallinan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Venue: Scott Skirving Theatre, RPAH, Camperdown
6.30pm for introductions and refreshments, sessions starts at 7pm. No booking necessary, but to assist with catering please RSVP interest to email@example.com or call Drug Health Services RPAH on 02 9515 6419
This seminar series attracts 2 points/hour for RACGP QA&CPD (activity number 715352).
The sessions and refreshments are again supported this year by Reckitt Benckiser, makers of buprenorphine and buprenorphine/naloxone